Sign in to follow this  
Holly

rough running problem

Hi Guys, Im so glad I found this site! I bought my VR6 Corrado last May but as a 21 year old girl with a VERY basic knowledge of cars I was hoping you could help shed some light on the acceleration problems ive been getting recently. It started about a month ago when im accelerating, the cars idling or running at a constant speed the power will just cut momentarily, this is more obvious if im accelerating, say at a roundabout its like every few seconds it will 'pull back' which is quite scary when your expecting to get accross quicker than you actually do! I took it to a garage and they changed all 6 plugs, they commented on what bad consition they were in, all black I think oily?! They hadn't been in long though so that was strange. Anyway the car drove fine for about a day then I started noticing it again but not as bad so I took it to a different garage where he checked the compression and it was down (but he didn't mention anything about head gaskets), then he cleaned the plugs again and re-gapped them (?), anyway then the car drove fantastically, power was up and very smooth accelleration again. But a day later its doing it again! Some days it will be fine but most of the time you can feel the periodic stuttering.

This is turning into an essay- sorry! Just to add, its going through a litre of oil every 3-4 wks and sometimes theres a mass of smoke from the exhaust. Ive checked the water levels, they are fine and havn't needed to be topped up for months.

Do you have any ideas? I dont want to keep getting the plugs cleaned every day but I got the VR6 for a reason and it aint fullfilling that at the mo!

Thanks. Hol. :roll:

Hi Holly.

Are you real? It *is* april the 1st, and a 21 year old with a Corrado VR6? How's the insurance!!! ;)

If you are real, the prognosis sounds iffy - using that much oil and dumping oil on the plugs is Bad with a capital B.

I'm sure other people here with more experience will confirm...

Matt.

Welcome to the forum!

Oh dear, sounds like you've met a moody Corrado!

What mileage has the car done? Sounds like it's in need of a head rebuild at best, or a complete bottom and top end overhaul at worst. This is because of the oil on the plugs you mentioned and the fact it drinks a litre every 3-4 weeks. By comparison, I put about 1/4 litre in every 3-4 months!

General hesitancy and lack of power is normally always the MAF sensor but there are other sensors that can play up, such as the Cam sensor which robs you of 30 bhp when that goes down.

I would get a full assessment of the engine's health before going any further as it can get very expensive.

K

Are you real? It *is* april the 1st, and a 21 year old with a Corrado VR6? How's the insurance!!! ;).

Cynical old git!

Kev.

A 21-year old student runs a Corrado VR6 describing *classic* engine wear symptoms, and registers with the forum on the VERY MORNING of 1st April 2004?

Sounds like bait to me! ;)

Kev.

A 21-year old student runs a Corrado VR6 describing *classic* engine wear symptoms, and registers with the forum on the VERY MORNING of 1st April 2004?

Sounds like bait to me! ;)

could have been more inventive with the name though, maybe Girl a bull or something like that?

Mine had similar symtoms, loss of power etc, plus the plugs getting sooted up, and that was down to a loose rocker arm and f*cked HT leads. but mine wasn't losing the oil like yours is.

Kev is always right about theses things unfortunately ;)

Welcome to the forum though......if you are real

Wow am I the only girl here then?!! Yes it is real I had actually completely forgotton it was the 1st of April. Thanks for your comments guys, not sure they made me any happier though! I worked at the headquaters of Toyota for my gap year at university and bought my dream car which seemed like a great idea at the time, but now as a very poor student in my final year my car just seems to be going wrong! :(

I had the oxygen sensor changed, and all the other sensors were tested. So basically I could be looking at a whole engine rebuild?! To be honest I planned on spending most of my money on my car to make it perfect but hoped it would wait till I finish and get a job in June, do you think it will be ok till then? I think I will get the HT leads changed to see if that will help they've had 107,ooo miles out of them anyway.

Thanks for your help :lol:

Oh and my insurance is £500 a yr with Tesco- Its great being a girl! :wink:

Hi Holly, and welcome to the forum... 8) You'll have to forgive the cynics above, but you gotta admit it did look a bit suspect! :lol: ;)

There are several other lady Corrado owners on here varying from 1.8 16V through Storms and onto 20V turbos... 8)

If you've had your car on VAG-Com (the VW test gear for reading the fault codes) and all is clear, then I'd get a good service done as it won't hurt and may make things slightly better... 8)

Do you know which oil your car is running on at the moment? High milage VW engines don't tend to like very thin or fully synthetic oils and have a habbit of just burning it! You're best of with a nice Semi synthetic like VWs own Synta Silver. Also, changing the plugs and plug leads is never a bad idea (unless you buy really cheap ones! ;) :lol: ) and may help with some of the roughness you describe, especially if they're the original leads...

How many miles are you doing in the 3-4 weeks between oil top-ups? This makes all the difference between a worn engine and normal oil consumption...

Hope some of this helps... 8)

Got something to say Matt? :lol:

['H3R4POR]

Mine had loss of power etc, and that was down to a loose rocker arm

Seriously? Shouldn't be any rocker arms in there mate, it's an OHC engine. Unless you've got a Ford Ka OHV engine in there and not telling us :wink: ?

Or did you mean loose rocker cover? Or indeed loose bearing caps?

['H3R4POR]Kev is always right about theses things unfortunately ;)

Am I? Why thanking yee very much :lol:

K

Got something to say Matt? :lol:

*keeping quiet*

Going to get the HT leads changed then and see how it goes. I have also decided to go to GTi international so might see your stand there!

Thanks for your help guys.

:D