87 Jetta 16v

Fitting New Door Hinge Pins - Any Tips?

Hi all,

My drivers door has dropped a little which is really annoying me. Has anyone replaced a lower door pin before, and if yes, how did you get on?

I took a look last night and they look like there is only room for it to come out from the top down. I gave mine a few taps with a punch last night, but it wouldn't shift.

Any tips before I get the LARGE hammer on it would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

I think there was a thread on here of a guy who did it, made up a tool for it but still made a mess of the pillar.. im sure someone else mentioned you might be able to pack something with a washer to lift it up a little?

Think most just use shims on the top pin to bring it up a bit. Check there is definately play in the pin though by gently lifting the door when its open. I thought mine had dropped as I could see it when it came of the catch. Turns out the catch pin was too high, so I bought some new ones, and a little fettling and it closes a treat and nice and quietly now too. :o

Mine has definately dropped a little, and when you lift the door whilst open you can feel movement. Shimming might be an option, but ideally I would like to "do it right" and replace the pin. However, if that is not possible, obviously I will consider all options!!

Do what the dealers do to fix dropped doors: Open door, place jack under it, jack it up until it shuts straight again :lol:

Seriously though, I did look into it before and it seemed like a right PITA, so never bothered. If you find a way, let me know!