alexvr6storm

40mm drop on a vr6

Hi, am trying to sort ride height (on a budget) and have purchased some 40mm lowering springs, assuming will this be too much for standard length shock absorbers to deal with but didn't want to go down the cheap coilover route...Any suggestions for a good balance of stance and ride quality?

What make of springs are they? Some older non-progressive springs, like Eibachs for instance, are waaaaaaaaay too stiff for standard dampers to cope with.

Budget and ride quality seldom belong in the same sentence. It amuses me how some people are flabbergasted by the thought of cutting springs down, which is mega budget+, but are prepared to buy low cost lowering springs, which is essentially the same thing.

If you're going to do it, do it properly, or not at all. A Bilstein B12 kit at £500+VAT is a high quality kit and won't break the bank. Blistein kit number 46-190109.

The thing about simply sticking springs on is the car will become unpredictable. You have changed a core element of the car's chassis without proper testing. At least with kits, they have done all the hard work and sought type approval on your behalf.

That's kinda irrelevant for cheap kits though - my JOM set is marketed as fitting a Mk3, Leon, Polo, etc etc, they fit the mounts but the spring rate is all wrong because they tuned it for an average of all the cars it fits, not a nose-heavy VR6!

They're fine if you can cope with the comedy 'sproing' noises it makes on spirited cornering :lol:

Stone

I had a set of TA Technics coilies on my Mk3 Golf (on when I got the car) and although it was a bit stiff, It really wasn't that bad. As long as you don't have budget tyres too, road noise is minimal, and ride is reasonably comfortable. I agree that you should get the best you can afford, but lots of people are more than happy with TA, JOM, Hot tuning, FK etc etc.........

As said they state they are standard for all engine sizes etc, but they do make a difference with the VR.

Thanks for the input. They are FK springs i got from Venom. Think I will go with the best shortened dampers I can afford and see how I get on. I know VW spent a huge amount of time/money developing the suspension for the VR, but my rear ride height is pure comedy... It is a Storm on original (I think) shocks and springs with 98k on the clock so it's probably due a set of OEM replacements anyway. Anyone tried these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200735023487?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 just to bring the back down a touch?