clintuk1978

Help, Fuel delivery problem - 2.0 9A engine

I have a Corrado 2.0 1993/4 (DOHC 9A Engine) and its just started to play up in a way that appears to be fuel delivery related. It starts fine and drives for a few minutes ok but then starts losing power and jumping as if the fuel isnt getting through somewhere. You can have your foot right down but there is no power or there may be a suddern boost for a short period of time. I have changed the fuel filter, replaced throttle body and the Fuel Pump is new so its not that and after checking things over and spending a small fortune on other parts in the hope that it could be them I am at a loss to explain why its doing this?!

It is definatley fuel related though...any ideas?

Thanks

You replaced fuel pump under the car or the one in fuel tank?

I had similar problems when my in-tank fuel pump misbehaved. Driving on full tank helped, but ultimately it was new in-tank fuel pump that fixed the very similar problem.

What makes you so sure its fuel related? Could it not be the MAF? On my mk3 golf I had this at 3k rpm and it was caused by a duff MAF. I suppose if I wasn't aware of the symptoms and it being a common problem, I'd be inclined to think it was fuel related.

Thanks, I replaced the one under the car but I not the one in the tank, I'll give it a go!

Cheers

You replaced fuel pump under the car or the one in fuel tank?

I had similar problems when my in-tank fuel pump misbehaved. Driving on full tank helped, but ultimately it was new in-tank fuel pump that fixed the very similar problem.

Edited by clintuk1978

Good shout but I looked at the MAF along with various other non fuel related stuff. I replaced quite a few parts but the problem still remains... I think it could be the fuel pump in the tank and I have just ordered one... I hope it is that as its proving very costly!

What makes you so sure its fuel related? Could it not be the MAF? On my mk3 golf I had this at 3k rpm and it was caused by a duff MAF. I suppose if I wasn't aware of the symptoms and it being a common problem, I'd be inclined to think it was fuel related.

Thanks for the link but I have purchased a new sender unit with pump and it hasnt fixed the problem. I also put in a new relay but no help there either! Im starting to think that maybe the fuel pump under the car is faulty?? it makes a hell of a noise when the car is running... i cant think what else it would be now?

Well I think I'm defeated on this one.... All I can think is that my petrol pump which is just over a year old is playing up but surely not?! I must admit it is making the loudest noise but at £120 it not something I want to be wrong about.

Have you checked for any fault codes which may point you in the right direction?

If its noisy then obviously somethings wrong. Did it come with a warranty? Surely worth checking and getting it swapped anyway

Yeah i have had it hooked up to the machine but it isnt reporting any faults. It must be the fuel pump.... Failing that it could be time to do the unthinkable to the car.

Have you checked for any fault codes which may point you in the right direction?

Yeah i have had it hooked up to the machine but it isnt reporting any faults. It must be the fuel pump.... Failing that it could be time to do the unthinkable to the car.

Noooo, you mustn't! Fit a pump, take it to a garage, anything but that! Seriously though it's gotta be worth trying a pump 'cus if it's excessively noisy then it's likely knackered.

I had these problems, I changed the lambda sensor, metering head and coolant temp sensor and it's ok now, seems to be over fueling a bit but it runs sweet, if personally try a lambda 1st if I was you.

have you checked the vacumn hoses as this is exactly what was wrong with mine

Well i fitted a whole new fuel assembly and guess what..... it still does it! I\m starting to think its not fuel related now as I have pretty much changed everything fuel related. Lambda Probe keeps coming up so I may look into that but at this point I'm defeated and it could be time to throw in the towl!

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Lambda seems to come up quite a bit so I will have a look. Cheers

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Yep, one of the first things I checked!

have you checked the vacumn hoses as this is exactly what was wrong with mine

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

I'm not so sure this is fuel related mnow as I have changed just about everything fuel related... any solid suggestions would be welcome!

I have a Corrado 2.0 1993/4 (DOHC 9A Engine) and its just started to play up in a way that appears to be fuel delivery related. It starts fine and drives for a few minutes ok but then starts losing power and jumping as if the fuel isnt getting through somewhere. You can have your foot right down but there is no power or there may be a suddern boost for a short period of time. I have changed the fuel filter, replaced throttle body and the Fuel Pump is new so its not that and after checking things over and spending a small fortune on other parts in the hope that it could be them I am at a loss to explain why its doing this?!

It is definatley fuel related though...any ideas?

Thanks

my vacunm hose looked fine from outside inside it had collapsed good luck with fix