Sign in to follow this  
dtjames

"Humming" noise

Here goes...

When I turn the key of my VR6 to the "lights on the dashbosrd" position (ie NOT started the engine), there is a noticable "hum" from under the bonnet.

It sounds from the passenger side of the car and seems to be coming from a large round plug with lots of electrical(?) wires coming from it.

Also, I had the wishbones changed last MOT and they used to creak when I pulled off. When I took it back to the garage, they said it sometimes happens, lubed them for me and the sound went. It is back again now. Should I just lube them again?

Any ideas anyone?

That's the auxillary water pump or the idle valve making that noise. Perfectly normal.

Wishbones shouldn't creak unless you've fitted powerflex bushes? They certainly creak..especially when you brake.

Sure it's not the inner CVs making a slight creak/grind/clicking noise? The OE bushes are solid rubber and should't creak.

K

Inner CVs were changed at the same time Kev. OK to re-lube them? (nice to speak to you again - we met at Stealth day - I was the welshie who brought his brother along)

I dont remember the hum being as loud before - am I noticing more things as I get to know the VR better perhaps?

Creaking when I pull off (but then Iprobably wouldn't hear it as I was driving along would I !) and not as noticable in the classic Welsh rainy weather conditions.

Alright mate!

Shouldn't need to relube the CVs if they were done recently.

With the igniton on there should be a faint hum, nothing too loud though. I take it the interior fan is off when you hear this noise? Might be your electric water pump getting tired?

If it runs OK, I shouldn't worry about it but keep an eye on the coolant level in case it is your pump that's on it's way out.

...the hum is loud and clear - interior fan is off. New water pump costs £?.

Wonder what the creaking is then - same sound as b4 when he lubed and stopped it though.

Cheers for all this help.

I bet you mean a creak when lifting off the clutch? Most VR6s do it....for reasons unknown. When the car is warm and the engine is off. Press the clutch down and see if you hear the creak. If it's not that, sorry mate, I haven't got a clue!

A new electric pump is about £60 from the dealer. But they make more of a grinding noise than a hum.....have you poked your head under the bonnet yet to see if you can spot the culprit?

K

I have, but all I know is where the noise is coming from ! I can't even name the part - that round socket-type thing with lots if wires coming from it.

Attached is a piccie of where the sound seems to be coming from mostly.

LOL, is that my engine? I recognise the blue igniter HT leads! Unless you've got me too?

Anyway, that area is where the aux water pump is, just behind the circle in fact.

HTH

K

No worries mate, can't think of a better example to use :mrgreen:

Yep, definitely sounds like the water pump although if it's not leaking, I'd leave it until it pops! They can go on for a while making a noise.

Kev

I should add that it is the last thing I hear "shutting off" when I switch the engine off. Like a fan slowing to a stop.

Yeah they're programmed to 'run on' when the ignition is off to pump coolant through the rad to prevent excessive heat soak.

...turned on my ignition (not started the car) this morning, only to find no "hum" at all again !

is this normal because the engine is cold?

update:

went for a run in the car this afternoon - "hum" returns again.

I take it the water pump that was suggested is the annoying bugger ?

When the auxiliary water pump goes, they go pretty quickly. A friend of mine was losing a little coolant, he topped it up in the morning and drove 10 miles. I then looked at it, and the level was fine, 2 miles later, the water light was flashing, pulled over and Nothing in the expansion tank. BONE DRY!! Had to get the RAC out, and bypass the auxiliary water pump and head straight to the dealers!!

"Humming" noise doing my head in now - can't stop noticing it.

I need more convincing that it is the water pump - it comes on after driving a short while, and stays on until engine is cold...

...to check if it is still "buzzing", all I need do is turn my key to "lights on dash" position, then off it goes, buzzing away like a bee!

Please convince me it is not too serious :?

ps. water level unmoved

When the auxiliary water pump goes, they go pretty quickly. A friend of mine was losing a little coolant, he topped it up in the morning and drove 10 miles. I then looked at it, and the level was fine, 2 miles later, the water light was flashing, pulled over and Nothing in the expansion tank. BONE DRY!! Had to get the RAC out, and bypass the auxiliary water pump and head straight to the dealers!!

Agreed mate - mine for the first time in 2yrs lost a little bit of water - so I topped it up... went five miles... went home and as I pulled up outside house it dumped its coolant all down the driveway and the lights come on dash.... :lol:

At least she got me home :wink: