skid

VR6 which front brake discs/pads?

Going to change out the front discs and pads on the project VR6, just wondering what you recommend guys.

Just for normal day to day driving, no track stuff.

I got the existing discs skimmed when i got the car as they had no wear at all just heavy rust pits.

But unfortunately one of the discs must be warped as i am getting pedal pump.

So do i just get a set from my local motor factors?

Shop about and get some tarox/black diamond etc?

I looked on GSF and i never seen anything fancy just basic discs/pads.

Thanks but what if i dont want to go down that route and just replace what i have?

Captain Fishfacewick recommends:

288 upgrade with dealer MK4 GTI pads.

Kev is the mk3 vr6 288 caliper the same as the mk4 gti 288? with a banjo bolt?

Yep, it certainly is!

Thanks but what if i dont want to go down that route and just replace what i have?

Just standard dealer stuff. Not worth spending money on as the disc and pad size (where the real difference comes from) just aren't there.

So dont waste my money on any brembo, tarox, EBC, Pagid discs or pads is that what you are saying?

Yep, the difference is night & day between the original setup and the 288's, as the 288's have a greater pad area, they're fine for every day use and occasional track use.

Thanks but as i said i am not planning on going down that route or expense.

What did everybody do before they went for that set up!? Did everyone run standard O/E discs and pads?

If this was my G60 no expense or time would be spared but as a base project car the VR6 i wont go over the top with expense or time.

Depending on what you mean by O/E, O/E VW dealer prices you will be walking out the parts department with a saw bum, or O/E equivalent, you can pick up discs and pads for around £100. I picked my 288's from a Fabia VRS for £55 delivered, they were only 2000 miles old.

there are "upgrade" discs & pads available but will probably cost you more than a replacement 288 set up... especially when you realise that they are still cack & you end up searching for something that works. Speaking from experience here.

So what would the total cost of the upgrade come to, by the time you get new discs,pads, calipers, hoses etc?

I have just ordered a set of Brembo max discs and pads, total price is £102, sure it will do my day to day running about town.

from what MatPC said £55 will buy you what you need. Thats a bargain right there!! I went down the route of uprated discs & pads but still managed to cook them regularly.

Now have 323mm discs that I need to bed in & test.....

288's any day over standard 280's, 288's can be had dirt cheap, go for it, they are a vast improvement but still cookable when pads are getting thin as ^^^^^