tsmerdon

Hi from Somerset

Great forum, just bought a green 16v, and trying to sort the issues ! leaking boot (removed wiper and plastic puddinged for now) Cam belt only done 20,000 miles, but over 5 years, Should I change ?

Seem to have air locks in cooling system, thermostat not appear to work, so is it worth doing water pump at same time ?

Just smashed the windscreen trying to get the wiper to work for wife and rainy days !!, but it is a nice colour!

Thanks

Tim

Welcome.

I'm not sure how big a job the waterpump is so can't comment on that. But if the cambelt is 5 years old then I;d be tempted to change it for peace of mind.

I recently bought a 16v with 135K on the clock. I immediately changed the timing belt partly because of its age (over 4 years) despite less than 20K miles and partly cos of some oil contamination. You dont mention your mileage-it turned out on mine that I had leaking oil seals. I eventually changed all 3, camshaft, intermediate shaft and crankshaft (they are all the same part). I mention this cos most people would think about replacing the tensioner, but the seals might also need attention.

To change the timing belt its necessary to remove both the alternator/water pump belt and the power steering belt. What you may not realise is that to get to the thermostat you also have to remove the power steering pump. I thought my thermostat was duff cos the engine took a long time to warm up-is this why you think yours is defective? In fact the thermostat checked out fine, but since I had bought a new one and O ring, I changed it anyway. It still warms up slowly, finally reaching 90C.

Why do you think you have air locks?

I never changed the water pump as I have paperwork suggesting it may have been changed when a new heater matrix, head skim, head gasket etc was done at the time of the previous belt change. Thats also why I asked about the mileage -if its high I would certainly consider changing the pump. I dont think it would be difficult to do.

Thanks, 150k miles, but only did 2k a year for the last 5. Wife did first long trip (200 miles) yesterday, water warning light, used about litre of water, heater not warm, checked today, sqeeze top rad hose and releases air and hot header tank in a few mins !

Temp gauge stays low. Thinking of doing the water pump, since once had a stat put in a mk 3 golf, only to have to do the pump a month later ! Am I right in thinking it (cam belt, stat and pump ) all require the power steering pump removal ? I sthere a way of bleeding the system/matrix other than squeezing top hose with header top off ?

Thanks

Tim

Welcome mate :wave:

Post up a thread with pics as you go and you prob will get a answer for everything you need.

Where about are you in somerset mate??

Johnny

I think my first question would be : wheres the water gone?? Do you have a head gasket problem? Hopefully a few more people contribute some thoughts!

If you post your problem in the engine forum it may be seen by more people.

Edited by bmwcompact

We are near Yeovil, head gasket has crossed my mind, unfortunately I wasn't with the car, but just in case, going to get a gas check, before we potentially wreck a very sweet sounding engine after just a week of ownership !