Sign in to follow this  
task

black smoke...

I started my car in the morning to be surprised by a cloud of black smoke in my rear mirror and unfortunitly it came out of my c.g60 :cry: . I have noticed a slight smell of petrol for almost a week now .I checked everything from the fuel pumps to the fuel rail and back. every thing is in order and works fine. why is it doing that, I know it could be a million things but what are the common problems on that matter on corrados?can it be from a sensor or what.?

thanks.

I'd go with a dead lambda sensor... That'd make the car run rich which would explain your petrol smell and black smoke on start up... :?

Don't they run rich on cold start *anyway*? And aren't they ignoring the lambda anyway during the cold start sequence?

Or is that just the VRs?

Ignore me and delete my post if I'm heinously wrong.. ;)

Tempests G60 was having lambda issues.. car seemed fine on the cold start (so it could well apply to G60's as well dr_mat) but once up to temperature, the car suddenly began to idle really badly like it was about to cut out, and then was belching black smoke from the exhaust. And then when driving the car (I was behind in my car), at any kind of low revs there was a lot of black smoke, and it seemed to struggle for power low down the revs.

Dunno if you had anything like that happen with yours task?

Don't they run rich on cold start *anyway*? And aren't they ignoring the lambda anyway during the cold start sequence?

Or is that just the VRs?

Nope, you're spot on there... 8)

However, when the lambda goes, you're running rich all the time so there's excess fuel in the cylinders when you turn the car off as well as lots of carbon deposits from the unburnt fuel. This then gets blown out the back as a cloud of black smoke when you next start the car... :?

the car suddenly began to idle really badly like it was about to cut out, and then was belching black smoke from the exhaust. And then when driving the car (I was behind in my car), at any kind of low revs there was a lot of black smoke, and it seemed to struggle for power low down the revs.

Dunno if you had anything like that happen with yours task?

this only happens to me when I connect the blue sensor for the water collant(dont know whats it called).I am currently driving with it disconected ,so I guess the water pump is always running. As for the black smoke, I just cleaned the fuel injectors and got new spark plugs. it ran fine for a while but as I reached home it seemed to give more smoke than ever.and by the way which is the lambda sensor?.

thaks.

connect the blue sensor wire to the black sensor and see if this makes any difference... (your dashboard water temp gauge will stop working) If this cures it, then you're laughing 'cos the sensor is only a couple of quid and is a doddle to fit... 8) If you do change it, change 'em both (blue one and black one), and don't forget to make sure you use new seals! ;)

The lambda sensor is in the exhaust, normally in the top of the cat... if you're having problems with the blue sensor, then the lambda may well be OK... 8)

Oh, and the waterpump on a G60 is always running while the engine is running as it's mechanical and is driven by the same belt as the Supercharger and alternator... ;)

Or is that just the VRs?

Preheart mode takes about 2 minutes, after which time the Lambda should become active. I'd say the mega rich running is more likely something to do with the blue temp sender. Even when lambdas are stuck at .045v (cold), the fuelling isn't *that* rich to cause black sooty smoke as that's how it is every morning anyway, by default.

K

to be honest, I'd completely forgotten about the blue sensor until task mentioned that it was disconnected... :oops: It's been so long since I had a running G60 engine, I'm starting to forget how they work! ;) :roll: :lol:

Oh, and the waterpump on a G60 is always running while the engine is running as it's mechanical and is driven by the same belt as the Supercharger and alternator

so what is the blue temp sensor for exactly?

it tells the ECU what temp the coolant is at so that it can adjust the mixture into the cylinders correctly... Kinda important for correct fuelling... ;)

The black one is identical (apart from the colour! ;) ) and is the sender for your water temp gauge... 8)

I pulled my blue sensor off when the engine was idling the other day and it went berserk, so yeah, it's kinds important as Henny said!

it tells the ECU what temp the coolant is at so that it can adjust the mixture into the cylinders correctly... Kinda important for correct fuelling

I guess there is something wrong with my ECU then :cry: ?? I replaced both blue&black sensors and it ran ok, the rpm went down from 1300 to 900 and there was less black smoke , I noticed that when I press the gas pedal on a steady way, there was no smoke coming out, but as I pressed it on and off several times it started to smoke like hell. I went on for a drive for about 20 minutes ,it ran great ( except for the smoke). suddenly after about 15min. she started choking as if there isn't any petrol in the car, but in fact there is half a tank .and I also noticed that sometimes when I change gears through acceleration, the muffler would give a loud pop noise.all this happens when connect the blue sensor :shock: :x :? :?: .

Help.

Check the earth strap between the battery and the gearbox (it also bolts onto the chassis by the battery tray)... If this is all green and nasty, you won't be getting a proper earth connection which could screw things up enough to cause your problems...

I'd also check the vacuum pipe which runs from the back of the throttle body and upto the ECU... this MUST be 100cm long else the ECU won't know what the hell is going on and your car will run like a dog...

Have you already tried disconnecting the Lambdasensor? As soon as I had checked my blue temp-sender (little experiment involving a pot of water brought to the boil whilst reading both temps and Ωs and voila, the characteristic NTC curve which beautifully matched the one in the Bentley, so it wasn't the sender :D ), I disconnected the Lambdasensor, blasetd through all the crud that had gotten stuck inside of my engine from running way too rich (cleaned all the plugs as well), and hey presto, I've been having power at the bottom end where I never thought I had any 8)

Now just need to find a dry day where I can get underneath and exchnage the Lambdaprobe ... Rain, when will it stop?

Tempest