Scott G

Super or normal unleaded?

Hey folks. I'm new here and just got my Corrado today. Just been reading that the 1.8 16v engine will only really run on 98ron super unleaded. Is this something that needs to be adhere'd to strictly or can 95ron be used safely enough? If it will only run on 98 then i'm afraid i might not own it for long as i won't be able to afford to run it. If there are any cheap ways around it, using octane booster for example or something more technical then i'd really appreciate any advice as i'd hate to give the car up so soon.

Thanks Scott G.

First I've heard of that mate. Never run it on super and never heard of any problems by not doing so. In fact the majority of the time my fuel is supermarket ****e too as its the closest to home. Only highly tuned cars require higher octane ratings in fuel, and very very few standard cars are recommended this from the factory.

Ta mate, that's reassuring. I take it you have the same engine? I did actually read it in the owners manual and it says on the inside of the filler cap flap to use 98 ron premium unleaded. It says 95ron can be used if there's no 98ron available but the engine shouldn't be revved hard. But i'll just see how it goes.

if you check you fuel filler cap, it does say 98 ron unleaded, you can run it on 95 ron, but i do see a good bit of difference in fuel economy , smoothness, and power, the fuel is more refined, abit like comparing tescos own brand vodka £5, to grey goose vodka ,£ 33, you pay for better quality. i run super unleaded, when i can afford it.

if you check you fuel filler cap, it does say 98 ron unleaded, you can run it on 95 ron, but i do see a good bit of difference in fuel economy , smoothness, and power, the fuel is more refined, abit like comparing tescos own brand vodka £5, to grey goose vodka ,£ 33, you pay for better quality. i run super unleaded, when i can afford it.

I think i'll probs just run on 95 for the most part and treat it to some 98 when I can afford it like yourself. Would it be worth mixing the tank 50/50? Never had this to worry about before, and i worry about lots of stuff as it is LOL

I still don't know about this... On the one hand I know someone who is a petrochemical technician for Shell and he says unless you have a dragster type supercar, there's no need to buy premium- it won't make any difference. All the guys he works with drive M3s, RS6s etc. and don't use premium petrol. On the other hand, when I have put 95 ron in my G60, it pinks just for a half second when I give it beans- with premium it doesn't!!! So I'm still playing it safe and using premium, at risk of being a mug!

I think cars with forced induction do generally benefit from a higher octane fuel, but i'm no expert so i dunno for sure. As mine is normally aspirated i don't think it'll suffer, but i'll see how it goes for a few days and try some 98ron and see if i can see any major difference.

I definitely couldn't run my G60 or 1.8T A3 on standard fuel, in fact most 98's weren't great. Optimax FTW!

I pretty much only ran my 16v's on 95 though, without any issues.

The R32 only gets Optimax although I'm sure it would be fine without..

The R32 only gets Optimax although I'm sure it would be fine without..

I wouldn't chance it with a standalone. Mine has a pinked a few times on normal unleaded. It only gets V power now.

... Just been reading that the 1.8 16v engine will only really run on 98ron super unleaded.

The 1.8 is a basic K-jet engine, it was designed to run on 4 star, which has an octane rating somewhere between current regular and super-unleaded.

It doesn't have knock sensors and so is the only Corrado that should only be run on super-unleaded, all the other's can knock back their ignition advance to run on the lower octane fuel.

Having said that, 1.8's vary due to varying tolerances and engine condition, some seem to run OK on 95.

Pinking does start before it is audible though, so it's safer to run it on super. Without actually rolling-roading the car and checking for power loss and pinking you can simply run the car till hot, then drive up a hill in 4th or 5th and floor the throttle at about 35-40mph, if it's going to pink it'll pink then.

You can knock the distributor advance back a little (crude as it knocks back the whole rev range advance), you will lose a little power but pinking should be avoided. Years ago, piggy back ECU's for the K-jet ignition ECU were available to crudely map/alter the ignition curve, allowing cars to run on 95 without losing top end power, but without converting to full stand-alone ECU and electronic injection you'll struggle to find something now I think. (k-star and V-sam were two crude systems) I doubt if anyone has the software and knowledge to set them up now though.

In summary, I doubt you'll burn through a piston with the occasional pinking that you'll most likely get on an old 16v, the car is more likely to rust to pieces first :) but see if you can induce pinking by labouring the engine and if it doesn't do it then you should be fine.

I wouldn't chance it with a standalone. Mine has a pinked a few times on normal unleaded. It only gets V power now.

indeed.. the amount it uses anyway the saving of a couple of pence per litre doesn't make a difference!

I find it makes a big difference, especially in the vRS. 5th Gear did some dyno testing with different cars a few years back and found it made more of a difference with the higher spec turbo cars- think they tested an Impreza and a Goof GTI. The Impreza was something like 14bhp higher with the super IIRC!

Yeah my R32 pulls noticably harder from 5000rpm with V Power. My old VRT used to adore the stuff. And there's double points on V Power this month :D

When i used to have my 1.8 16v i only ran it on normal stuff & then treated it to some super here & there & i dont recall any issues

However, in my current VR6 i very quickly learned to run only V power. i find that not only is the power smoother, more responsive & punchier but also that my mpg is much better

i only put 95 in the VR if i have no choice & when i do my mpg goes down noticeably.....like when there is no sign of a fual strike yet people panic buy all the fuel including v power they wouldnt normally buy & then shell prioritise normal fuel deliveries meaning no v power for over a week grrrrrrrr!!!

I used to top up with v-power in my Saab when doing a run actually. Noticable difference in power delivery and smoothness whilst cruising, and as I used to go to Bristol twice a month, I did a comparison between the v-power and 95 RON, and MPG was pretty much improved meaning the price difference was swallowed up. (I forget exact figures now). I used to treat it every time I went up.

yep, I'm another V-Power convert. The difference in my VR's performance is noticeable and even my Jetta gets V-Power :) I agree with what some others have said; the difference in mpg more than makes up for the price difference.

I've got the same 1.8 engine and run it on 95 with no issues at all - did try more expensive fuel but honestly didn't notice any difference!

I can definitely feel the difference between v power/optimax and any 95 fuel.

Especially when either in the wrong gear or pulling up hill you can hear and feel the car pink before it retards the timing.

Run it on high octane and the effects are a lot less.

Mpg wise I don't get much difference.

I also just bought my first Corrado (92 VR6), so bear with me here.

I was wondering what type of gas I would use in mine (USA)?

We typically have 87 octane (regular), 89 octane (plus), and 91 octane (premium) at gas stations.

We typically have 87 octane (regular), 89 octane (plus), and 91 octane (premium) at gas stations.

Our regular is 95 Ron, but super is 98/99 ron, i would therefore use premium all day long......

91 as a maximum ? thats pants mate........ :shocked!:

Yeah, generally this is what our fuel pumps look like

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64157[/ATTACH]

That's why I was amazed when I heard you guys saying you only put 95+ in your Corrados.

The inside of my fuel flap says use 98 ron fuel, i know they put the 2.8 in the slc, rather than the 2.9 like mine, maybe it tolerates the lower octane value..... :shrug:..... i would have thought your ECU would be tailored to suit your fuel as well.........

It's a while since I read up on it, but I don't think you can compare the ratings, I'm sure the US values are lower for the equivalent fuel, even if US fuel grade is slightly lower (not sure it is anymore anyway)

I just looked on the inside of my fuel cover, and it says to use a minimum of 87 octane.

So I'm guessing you're right davidwort, the fuel values probably aren't equivalent.

Juan use 91,its similar to the 97/98 ron we use have over here.The US models have ecu programmed to use the fuel over there so dont worry too much,just dont use cheap fuel in the summer heat.Engine will pink lot more if engine on load, doesnt have knock sensor to pull timing back.But they are usually rugged engines anyway.