VeeDub_NZ

Help with motor freight!!!

Hey lads,

Over the weekend my 2.8L 24v VR6 managed to seize (500kms after transplant). I'm super gutted about it and am not even sure where it's seized yet, but it's time to move on and replace it.

I'm in Auckland, New Zealand. I've found an R32 motor for sale in Warwickshire however it's collection only. Does anyone have any links/contacts that may be able to help with getting the motor sent out to Auckland, New Zealand?

Any help is massively appreciated. We have no R32 motors or anything here so importing is my only option.

Cheers

Thanks for the link, will do some more research. I've emailed those guys, will keep looking also. If anyone works in the industry and can help, please shout out! I can have the motor sent anywhere within the UK, but not as far as New Zealand.

Can you not source an r32 from Australia. I believe they had them too.

Would be a hell of a lot cheaper to ship too

R32s in australia are even more over priced than in NZ and I believe they have less than us (We had 32 originally imported). There has only been one wrecked, which got snapped up. There's a bare block & head for sale in Aussie for $3,000 australian, which would be 5k NZ by time it's landed.. In the UK I can find a complete motor for under 1k pounds..

You will no doubt need the engine to be crated up before it ships otherwise it will be either dropped and damaged or have parts removed from it in transit. If the company selling the engine are happy to put it on a pallet for collection most shipping companies can arrange collection, crating and shipping as a complete package but obviously it will cost. Have a look at http://www.bifa.org/content/Member.aspx for a listing of uk shippers that move goods to and from New Zealand.

Unless you get everything required for an R32 conversion, and I mean absolutely EVERYTHING, I would seriously reconsider that choice of engine. A lot of R32 convertees on here have had some kind of wiring / management issues with their R32 conversions (except me and RedTyphoon as we went standalone :D ) and as there are no R32s in NZ, you really would be up a creek without a paddle if you ran into problems. Having said that, Vince at Stealth Racing does international mapping / ECU support.

Is your 24V and AUE? I have one which I was going to dump this weekend as no one wanted it. So if you can get a courier to collect it from my house, you're welcome to it. It's just the block & head. It might get yours going again in the meantime.

How come yours seized up? Lack of oil pressure?

My 24v is a BDE. It's ready to come out of the car this weekend. And I managed to find a complete Mk1 TT motor in Japan which I will have landed in NZ for half of what it would have cost ex UK or USA so that's a win. That's a very generous offer though FishWick - thanks.

I've got an R32 inlet manifold and steel sump ready to go on.

No idea why mine seized up, no warnings, oil & water both full. Turns out it had been rebuilt before I bought the motor though (I didn't know that when I bought it), so it may have something to do with that. I had only done around 500kms after rebuild until it seized.

A friend of mine here has the software to flash my ECU with a Viper Tuning R32 map so fingers crossed we won't need to even send the ECU away. Vince @ Stealth did the de-immo on my current ECU and I can't stop raving about how excellent & efficient their service was.

7247122650_4449b911da.jpg

photo-81 by tbagnz, on Flickr

Good news!

We'll look forward to seeing you in the 24V thread with some problems soon then :D Only kidding, you'll be fine!