Sign in to follow this  
GsixT

A few general queries re. corrados

What exactly is expensive about running a VR6? Ive heard that they are very costly to run. Is this mainly referring to that the are not the most economical of cars or that parts go wrong quickly?

Did G60s ever come with leather interiors? I only seem to see it on the VRs....any info?

What about dash differences and things...id like the seats at the back to be the ones withOUT the armrest if possible.

Can rubbing strips be removed easily? Does it leave holes that need filling over?

Did G60s or VR6s come with immobilisers as standard? what about alrams?

What are the main differences between G60 and VR6 in terms of spec (apart from an extra litres worth capacity engine! etc)

Also on the off chance, does anybody know how much roughly, it would be to get a crossflow head put on to a corrado G60 and all necessary bits to run it.

Regards for any help.

What exactly is expensive about running a VR6? Ive heard that they are very costly to run. Is this mainly referring to that the are not the most economical of cars or that parts go wrong quickly?

They're not that bad, but when something does go wrong, some of the parts can be pretty expensive... Fuel consumption is pretty good considering it IS a V6 of just under 3 litres! You've got to bear in mind that most of these are around 10 years old now, and will need some TLC to keep in top notch condition, which will mean some expense when things go wrong... 8)

Did G60s ever come with leather interiors? I only seem to see it on the VRs....any info?

Yup, it was a cost option the same as on the VR6s...

What about dash differences and things...id like the seats at the back to be the ones withOUT the armrest if possible.

The later versions (93 onwards, or there abouts) had a slight face lift to the interior with different switches and a smoother more rounded look to the vents and other parts...

I've yet to actually see a flat rear bench in the flesh, and I've no ideas which they were fitted to... I've never heard of a standard leather flat bench though... :?

Can rubbing strips be removed easily?

Yup

Does it leave holes that need filling over?

nope, They're just stuck on with sitcky tape stuff... 8)

Did G60s or VR6s come with immobilisers as standard? what about alrams?

Later cars came with an alarm immobiliser which is now classed as Cat2, a lot of the other cars were fitted with a straight alarm system from the dealers... Personally, I'd rip out any alarm that's been in more than 2 or 3 years and put a nice new one in instead! ;)

What are the main differences between G60 and VR6 in terms of spec (apart from an extra litres worth capacity engine! etc)

Engine, gear ratios, slightly wider track front suspension and 5 stud wheels (instead of 4 stud on the G60) were pretty much the only differences until you got to the interior face lift versions which the G60 wasn't produced with... Every other option was available on both G60 and VR6

Also on the off chance, does anybody know how much roughly, it would be to get a crossflow head put on to a corrado G60 and all necessary bits to run it.

Send G-Man a personal message... G-werks is doing these conversions soon (if not now) and he'll know costs and the like... 8)

Hope this all helps... 8)

I haven't found the running of my VR6 to be too expensive yet. (touch wood) :D Although, because corrado's are quite rare, new panels are quite expensive, and so to are some of the parts. But like Henny says, to keep the cars running well, you do need to be prepared to spend the money on them, after all, they ARE nice cars!!

OK thats awesome thanks for the swift replies fully answering my queries :D

You say one of the two (g60 or vr6) has a slightly wider track front suspension...which had this and what does it mean exactly? Handle better?

VR6 (and 2.0 8 and 16Vs) have the later MKIII golf based (rather than the earlier G60 and 1.8 16V's MKII based) front suspension which is known as the "plus" suspension.

In theory the plus suspension should handle slightly better than the non-plus suspension, but I doubt anyone would ever notice the difference... :?

Both G60 and VR6 handle along very similar lines, although some people say the G60 has the slight edge on handling due to the lighter engine... 8)

In theory the plus suspension should handle slightly better than the non-plus suspension, but I doubt anyone would ever notice the difference... :?

Can't say I can notice a difference. If there is one it's very minor! They're both Corrados at the end of the day which = great handling as standard 8)

Just to expand on the "Plus" running gear. Any C with 5 stud wheels has this setup. The wishbones are 10mm longer than 4 stud car's wishbones....but the VR6 wheels have a 10mm deeper offset to compensate, so the benefit of the extra WB length is somewhat reduced....if I understand it correctly!

I'm not sure if the rear beam's track is also 10mm wider (each side) or not tho, doesn't seem to be.

K

VR6 (and 2.0 8 and 16Vs) have the later MKIII golf based (rather than the earlier G60 and 1.8 16V's MKII based) front suspension which is known as the "plus" suspension.

99% sure its only the VR that has the "plus" suspension :wink:

99% sure its only the VR that has the "plus" suspension :wink:

Cool, I can accept that... I wasn't too sure on that point anyway... 8)

I've never had a play with either of the 2.0 versions, so I don't know too much about them (yet ;) )...

I think you`ll find that the plus pack cars have more castor on the front as well as the wider track to aid high speed stability.

Baz

Blimey, twice the castor on VRs!

+ is more toward the bumper isn't it, and - more towards the bulkhead? Can never remember!

K

+ is the bottom of the strut towards the front of the car, that means the VR is a harley chopper as opposed to the G60 a super bike, lol :lol:

Baz

I'm not sure if the rear beam's track is also 10mm wider (each side) or not tho, doesn't seem to be.

K

Not sure on that either but the VR does have a different rear axle beam & mountings to the G60.

The stub axle/hub assy's are interchangeable so I can only assume that the difference is width. Logically this would be the case, to facilitate using the same offset of wheel front & rear.

Mind you my G gets a bit scarey over 120 mph on uneven roads, pays your money and takes your choice.

Baz

Baz - I think it takes a brave man to drive at 120mph on uneven roads :shock:

+ is the bottom of the strut towards the front of the car, that means the VR is a harley chopper as opposed to the G60 a super bike, lol :lol:

Baz

LOL, Harley's carry a big heavy engine too :wink:

the 93 and up corrados have the oil gauge and such in the console. and i heard that no g60's had leather in them? the guy i talked to about it was pretty positve that there were no g60's at all with leather.

i heard that no g60's had leather in them? the guy i talked to about it was pretty positve that there were no g60's at all with leather.

There are a few G60's runing around Europe/UK with factory leather - as mentioned earlier, it was a cost option on both the G60 + VR6

(ex VW employee :wink: )

Mind you my G gets a bit scarey over 120 mph on uneven roads, pays your money and takes your choice.

Baz

Baz - I think it takes a brave man to drive at 120mph on uneven roads :shock:

Steve, I just can`t stop myself :twisted:

Baz

the 93 and up corrados have the oil gauge and such in the console. and i heard that no g60's had leather in them? the guy i talked to about it was pretty positve that there were no g60's at all with leather.

must have been an American market feature cos we had to retro-fit them or pay extra(i think)when the UK-market ones were new

The later versions (93 onwards, or there abouts) had a slight face lift to the interior with different switches and a smoother more rounded look to the vents and other parts...

I've yet to actually see a flat rear bench in the flesh, and I've no ideas which they were fitted to... I've never heard of a standard leather flat bench though...

^ I've got a flat rear bench :/, I'd like a black arm rest and fittings tho :). The funny thing is I didn't even notice it wasn't there when I saw the car. It was only 2-3 days after I got it. I was just chuffed to find a 2l 16v aqua blue with black interior :), still chuffed 9-10 months on so can't complain :)! 8)

Edit (who sits in the back anyways, and it provides some room for interesting things)

*mod edit - sorted your quote for you - Henny*

AFAIK,

Late G60 models, 1992 (Late J and K plate) did have the facelifted interiors as I have seen a few including the K reg red G60 I broke about a year ago for spares, it had the facelifted interior, late fogs / bonnet etc. Also pretty sure like Roddy says the VDO gauges inthe centre console were a dealer-fit COST option on VR6 models only. You could also buy the gauge console holder (obsolete now) for the G60 separatly but had to fit own choice of gauges ,

Cheers

BigEastsideVWG60

AFAIK,

Late G60 models, 1992 (Late J and K plate) did have the facelifted interiors as I have seen a few including the K reg red G60 I broke about a year ago for spares, it had the facelifted interior, late fogs / bonnet etc. Also pretty sure like Roddy says the VDO gauges inthe centre console were a dealer-fit COST option on VR6 models only. You could also buy the gauge console holder (obsolete now) for the G60 separatly but had to fit own choice of gauges ,

Cheers

BigEastsideVWG60

i'm sorry struan but thats crap...........just look at the interior of the campaign.......early interior.....the K-plated VR that i was in when Pau1 whipped its ass in yer C before you had it also had the early interior.......the one's you have seen i would say are 99.9% sure to have had the later interior retro-fitted to them........the exterior facelift was for the start of VR production which was post Aug/sept 1991 in germany....so 92M/y therefore a few G60's made in 92 up to the 93M/Y(august 92)will have the later exterior trimmings