Benjevw

Wiring speakers '93 VR

Hi guys

When I got my car It had no doorcards,seats,head unit ect ! I removed all the wiring kit for the sub and amp as wanted to keep it all standard/simple !

At the minute I have front door speakers and rear speakers in place but not connected. I've traced the wire from the passenger doorcard to behind the glovebox :-

d4b780df-c2c4-70c9.jpg

The wire in my hand is from the door speaker. Is the other wire simply from the other door? How would I go about connecting them back up along with dash speakers.

Would it be easier to run fresh wires all around ? Like the previous owner did.

He had a little black box 'focal', I take it he just had the speakers all runnin off of this?

If any1 can help I'll be very grateful! Just wanna get my dash back together.

Cheers

Ben

Right,

For the front speakers there is effectively a single positive and earth wire which goes from the headunit to the dash speaker. Then another separate but same coloured positive and earth wire which goes to the door speaker.

So the wires in your hand (in between your thumb) goes from the door speaker to the dash tweeter. The other wire just touching your finger end goes from the dash tweeter to the stereo. The dash tweeter has one input and one output connection.

The drivers side is identical; just with blue wiring instead of red I believe.

Hope that makes sense?

EDIT: just to clarify that's how the original speakers wire up. I have just installed components and they were set up as follows.. I had to join the two wires you have pictured, so effectively it's a single wire from the stereo to the door speakers; then I wired from the door speaker to the dash speaker. It'll all depends on the speakers you are installing on how you wire them up.

Edited by P3rks

The 'focal' box is possibly a crossover box. Focal is an audio company. Component speakers have a crossover which splits the frequency and sends lower frequencies to the main speakers and higher frequencies to the tweeters. It wasn't original Corrado equipment.

Hey thanks guys yea I get that. I've got vibe slicks in the doors at the minute, no idea what spec etc,they have a built in tweeter so theyre not components?? but thats all I know lol .

So stick to the standard setup?

As for that little box. I'm guessing he had a full focal setup as I've got two dash tweeters to go with (bodged quite badly into some massive washers!)

May use them again but as not running anything major I'll leave it simple.

thanks again

Ben

If you need to figure out which wires are connected to which speakers you can take a AA battery and connect the ends of the speaker wire to opposite sides of the battery (in my experience, it doesn't matter which end touches the + and which end touches the - side of the battery) and this should send a little bit of power to the speaker, creating a buzzing sound, and allowing you to properly identify which set of wire goes to which speaker. When I first bought my Corrado, it had aftermarket speaker wire so I wasn't sure which wire went to which speaker, and I used this method to figure it all out.