Sign in to follow this  
Eug

Life expectency of VR6 Gearbox

How long would you expect a standard gearbox to last ?

I'm going to view another VR6 and the owner said the gearbox was replaced at about

80 000 miles because the syncromesh had gone and it was having trouble

getting into 2nd/1st. It's done about 110 000 miles now.

Is this anything to worry about, since a completely new gearbox has since been installed ?

What's wrong with your other VR6? :)

BTW - gearboxes do go sometimes, it doesn't *necessarily* mean the car has been thrashed. A mate had to have a new box in a BMW 318i at 18 months of age, cos it kept dropping out of 3rd gear.

Oh bugger :(

Synchro cone failure is very common on VW gearboxes. A nice drop of Redline MT90 will make the shift sweeter and proling the life of the synchro cones.

As for life expectancy, it varies. Mine's on 93K with no crunching at all. It baulks a bit when the oil is cold and I think the output or layshaft bearing is on it's way out, but other than that it's OK. They can go on for years with worn bearings.

You can normally tell as you get a clattering noise at idle with the clutch pedal released.

K

You can normally tell as you get a clattering noise at idle with the clutch pedal released.

My mate's 40k mile Audi A3 has a clattering noise that's the gearbox shafts, so it's not unusual to hear some noise there even on new cars..