Sign in to follow this  
BL

What the hell do i look for in a VR6????

Hello,

I'd imagine by now your all pi**ed off with randoms like me asking this question!

Am looking to buy a corrado vr6 towards the end of summer (bonus at work and all that), but have no idea what i should be looking for and what should stick out like a sore thumb, telling me to walk away!! I'll have around 4K to spend, will i get a decent one for that money, or am i dreaming?

Built a couple of MKII valver golfs and was also wondering if the running costs were similar or could someone give me a general rule of thumb for monthly outgoings to keep her running smoothly?

Any pointers greatly appreciated,

Barrie.

Running costs won't be comparable to any MkII Golf, I would add to the excellent info in the buying guide.

Insurance group 18, exclusivity, and many parts being dealer-only means they cost a LOT more than the average old VW to run.

Plus there's just so much to go wrong on them..

but the car makes up for all the bad stuff by giving you the biggest grin on your face, ever!!! (when its working properly) :mrgreen:

timo

Thanks for the info and forgive the muppet for not checking out the site fully before posting a question.

Cheers,

BL

Mr Moderator, just looked at the excellent buying guide, can I propose two additions please....?! I always look for these two items as well ,from past experience, might be worth including?.....

Suspension :-

- Under rear wheel arches, at shock absorber top spring plate, check for corrosion and ensure there is a gap between the plate the top of the strut spring sits in, and bodywork.

Bodywork :-

- At rear bodywork just above rear bumper, check the two vertical 'seams' at each side of the rear panel are perfect, straight, even and with no bubbling/rust coming through (possible evidence of poor rear end damage repair).

Thanks Kwloon - added those bits in.

List is a bit of a mammoth now, but it goes to show how much needs to be checked to get a nice C to begin with :) This is why I think that a properly sorted C should be fetching a lot more money.

Nice one, agree about the C should be fetching more money. Not to worry, in a few years time when the thrashed and trashed have all disappeared, reckon they will be on the up again in value.