fla

OBD2 Immobiliser ring

The cost of having the immobiliser deleted from my ecu is putting me off installing it at present. I have the immobiliser ring but no keys with my kit - is there any way of utilising this and what items should i look to get?

thanks

I dont know if its any good to you but I have been changing my wiring loom today in the corrado using my old golf mk3 wiring. I have he immobiliser ring, key with chip and ecu that you could have if that would work? Its off a mk3 2.0 8v golf, but if you can make it work then its yours. All the wiring ive used so far seems to match the corrados perfectly. Im not an expert on this kind of thing so please dont laugh if this is in no way going to work. :)

very kind of you dumpptyboy. I thinks it perhaps only the key and chip i would need as the ecu would be specific to the VR. How much would you want for it?

You can have the chipped key and ring(inc. wiring) if you think it will be any good to you. I can take a picture for you in the morning if you like, just to double check what I have is any good for you! If it is what you want then if you cover the postage cost(£3) then I will post it over to you Monday? I will try to get a picture in a minute if the kids go to sleep sooner rather than latter!lol. :)

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Sorry about the crappy picture, I had to rush to do it whilst the kids were going to sleep! Is this anything like what your looking for?

2012-06-09_22-24-20_639.jpg

to be honest i dont really know 'what' i need - perhaps someone could advise here? I assume that the above should be fine though - i can make a direct transfer to your account for payment as i dont have paypal.

Im happy to post whenver, but lets see if anyone can make sure this is what you need before we waste our time. Can anyone help?

OBD2 chaps,

any input on whether this is required and if so, how does it link in with the VR ecu if indeed there is any issue?

Right, this is going back a while so my memory is a bit hazy but I think I did use my original transponder for a while with obd2. I was on a CP ECU though (latest ECU). I did experience problems with immobiliser but I have been really unlucky, I swapped over to OBD2 stuff and still had problems which I managed to fix.

A lot of people get away with simply plugging in the halo and away they go, not soo lucky people like me, my friend that I helped convert to OBD2 and Pete all had problems with immobiliser so its anyones guess if it will or won't work. As I understand it, the ECU only gets an OK signal from the transponder, it doesn't get any idea of what the chip is so as long as the transponder and chip match the ECU should be fine.

Just for anyone searching for VR6 immobiliser problems, heres a helpful link that worked for me.

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic30638-1-2.aspx#bm30731

Thanks swift.How does the unit wire in and where do the connectors in the photo go? Thanks

many thanks to Dumptyboy, you are a true gent! just need to work out how to wire it in...

I can help you with that mate. But you will need to give me a day or two to get back to you. The chip will fit in your existing key or buy one of these:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130349125091?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The key is a shell and the transponder fits inside it!

I will sort out a wiring diagram and send it over to you if thats any help.

;)

Started trying to type the wiring from memory but daves16v explains it quite nicely in the obd2 conversion thread

"If you’re using the transponder box, ring and key you will need to wire the 5 wires from the 6 pin plug as follows –

2x Brown to earth.

1x Black to ignition live, I used one of the Black connector blocks on the front of the fusebox, this is where it takes it’s power from on the Golf fusebox albeit via another connector.

1x Grey/White wire on a Brown socket to be connected to corresponding plug in the fusebox, you can see the single wire Brown plug in the photo above.

1x Grey wire with a Brown connector plugs directly into the block behind the dash just behind the gear shifter. Don't be confused with the connector block under the gear shifter surround, you want the connector block behind the dash. You can get to it by removing the lower driver side shelf. This wire provides diagnostic function using VAG-COM/VCDS."

Hope that helps

thanks for that chaps.

Swift, i ahve a 5-pin connector not 6, although much of what Dave says lines up. There are however some additonal wires and a connector. Will post some pics tomorrow to see if these can just be removed.

Yea pictures would help, we are talking about the wires from the transponder to the car, the wires from the halo are completely unchanged and literally plug straight into the transponder box. But yea, get some pics up and I'll take a look

Swift some pics for you.

The first is clear - it is a ground connection, which i can put on the earthing post. The second shows the two brown connectors, one is a male (grey wire), the other female (grey with white tracer). the third pic with the green connector, shows a black wire going to the green connector and this black wire is in teh same loom as the two grey wires ie comes directly from the immobiliser box.

The fourth pic shows the two connctors attached to the green connector - i've shown them all together in the fifth pic. The red with black tracer and red with twin yellow tracer are not connected directly to the immob box.

Do let me know what you suggest. TIA

Edited by fla

I believe that plug is to fit into position E on the fusebox which is for "Instrument or brake light wiring harness" which is obviously untouched on the OBD2 conversion. What its doing is piggy backing of another ignition live so just snip the black wire and reattach it to another ignition live like I mentioned above and get rid of the green plug.

ok- to confirm: remove the green connector and the small black one altogether and wire the open black wire to a switched live? Where did you wire yours into?

Yes, as far as I can remember thats what I did with my mates car. Mine was a late (CP) ECU so the immobiliser was already there. As you say, in order to remove the green connector and the black one you should only need to cut the black wire.

How are you getting on with the obd2 conversion? I found it quite confusing at times, its helpful but really what you need is the wiring diagram in front of you to double check things just for peace of mind, at the time I just relied on the guide being 100% accurate which unfortunately it wasn't and I had problems with my fan and auxillary water pump for months until I found out that 2 wires havn't been connected, I've now put this into the thread but if you need any assistance with anything feel free to drop me a PM.

quick update here and one more question:

I've adjusted the wires from the transponder accordingly, but the single grey/white wire with brown connector is puzzling me. I extended the grey/white wire from the loom as it enters the cabin to join the slightly thicker grey/white with black oversheath wire (you can see this one below). This then plugs into the connecting block behind the centre console (black connector).

However, should this instead go to the brown female connector (grey/white) in the transponder (which i have labelled as 'loose single connector on immobiliser'), which then connects using the other grey wire to the connecting block?

if the brown connector with grey wire at the transponder is not connected will the car still start?

No, that's the wire that tells the ecu to start if I recall correctly. I had a go at figuring out what wire was what last night but couldn't fathom it without looking at my loom. Have you had a look at the wiring diagrams on rubjonnys page?

no. Do you have a link to them? Just searched under rubjonny and nothing seems to come up?

Do you think that this one should be connected to the grey with white chaser which is extended to reach the console? I don't think there were any other (spare) connections in my loom

had a look at the wiring again. The grey with white chaser from pin 43 on the main ecu connector i had cut off and connected the grey/white wire that goes to the centre console, instead of connecting it to the grey/white from the brown 2-pin connector. So I have now cut the grey/white from the 2-pin and joined this to the grey/whote with the black oversheath and plugged this into the centre console. The grey wire with brown connector has been soldered back on and is now plugged into the transponder. Lets see if it works once its all put together!