Dan_Storm

My New Daily Driver

I picked this up a few weeks ago as my daily driver.

I know it's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but they drive really nice and in my opinion get a bit of negative bashing they don't deserve!

Good handling and a nice balance between firmness and comfort. It's a 2 litre diesel (BMW engine) which is pretty good for an oil burner. I don't think you can find much for the money that is as new, economical, practical and as nice to drive.

I've done a few small jobs on it and have got a list of other things I want to do. I'm averaging about 43mpg at the moment but the thermostat is opening to early, so I should be able to get another 5-10 mpg out of it once sorted.

My gf had a Rover 25 and even though she hated it, I thought it was a pretty decent car. 1.4 petrol engine was quite pokey and rev-happy as most k-series engines are, and handling was okay if not mind-blowing. It memorably over-heated though when we were driving south to buy and pick-up the Corrado, which I guess is to be expected from petrol models.

Yep, the Rover 75/MG ZT were properly engineered cars. They had lots of BMW's money so weren't designed on a shoe string budget like most of the previous cars. Think I'd avoid a k-series though :)

The diesel's don't suffer from the swirl flaps issues that the BMW equivalents suffer from and the dual mass flywheels seem to be pretty reliable. They like clutches as much as any oil burner does though. There are a few common issues such as clogged PCV filters, intercooler o-rings perishing, handbrake brackets stretching, fan resistors needing replacing etc....but most of them are easy DIY jobs.