swampy

bit of work on my 406 v6 coupe

as the im on "gardening" leave but only have a barked area and small amount of grass to cut that didnt fill much of my time up.

so as the sun was shining today i set about doing a bit of work on the v6.

firstly it got a bath in dodo juice shampoo

then a coat of auto glym super resin

two coats of poorboys black hole sun

and at the moment a coat of poor boys natty blue wax is curing!!

here are a few pics from before the nattys blue

DSCF3478.jpg

DSCF3479.jpg

not a bad reflection!!

then i wanted to change the plugs as id not done them since i got the car, removed the throttle body and inlet manifold so i can get too it

DSCF3477.jpg

wasnt as bad as i thought to get too it, just the bolts on the lifting eyes at the rear of the engine that thru me a small curved ball!!!!

any way whilst the manifold was off i thought i would give it a clean!!

so set to it with the wire wheel and started to clean it

DSCF3474.jpg

before

DSCF3475.jpg

during

after will be posted tomorrow, need to find the mount for my set of polishing mops and soap so i can try and polish it properly

a few tweeks will be made whilst its apart,

the inlet manifold gasket is being replaced with a 6mm thick ptfe one, these are widely used on jap cars to reduce heat transfer between parts and ultimatly reduce the air temp in the inlet tract

these are still being worked on so pictures will be up tomorrow.

next is the throttle body, have had a spare one of these almost since i got the car, i started with fitting a standered paper gakset and marking the inner edge of where the gasket comes too, this is a good few mm outside of the edge of the tb mouth.

i then got the die grinder out and removed the excess material and smooth it all in to the tb itself.

i then looked further in to the tb at the ridge just beofre the butterfly / throttle shutter and proceeded to smooth this in, make the step from it much smaller and more radioused out.

hopefully the upshot of this will be better throttle response and maybe a bit more power, more air in equals more squish so a bigger bang!!

i will also make a ptfe gasket to go in btween the inlet manifold and throttle body, these will all be updated tomorrow when they are completed.

I will also be making a few uprated ground earth cables to go to the rear bank of the engine (already have them on the front bank) these are provem to help smooth out the idel, cut down on ecu faults, improve light output and have being shown on rolling roads to add a n extra bhp or two

a further update will be posted tomorrow

As standerd it's 194 bhp and 267 nmof torque

Last time this one was on the rollers it made 212bhp and 282 nm torque

And that's just with a panel filter and exhaust, hopefully the new work will see it around 220bhp

Great cars, they're a stunning shape. Makes a Corrado look the ugly duckling it really is. Peugeot know how to make engines too.

todays update

all back togeather, i have a sore neck from sun burn!!

DSCF3484.jpg

pic of the gasket in place, sorry forgot to take a pic of it pre fitted

DSCF3480.jpg

the tb, on the left is the modfied one and the right is the standered one.

cant really see from the shots but just before the buttefly is amassive step, most of this has being removed

DSCF3482.jpg

standered tb

DSCF3481.jpg

modfied tb which shows the step, or lack of it now

DSCF3485.jpg

inlet manifold inlet opened out to port match with the gasket and the radius inside smoothed and blended

hit a few snags putt ing all back togeather, the main one was the bolt holes for the rear lifting hooks so i had to take them off and file the holes open slightly

have only taken it for a quick spin around the block but throttle response feels better, engine note has changed and is now even more throaty!!

and here is how she looked on the 28th june last year after an idiot pulled across me

coupedamage2.jpg

coupedamage.jpg

DSCF2725.jpg

and after i had repaired it

Great cars, they're a stunning shape. Makes a Corrado look the ugly duckling it really is. Peugeot know how to make engines too.

ha

Ha ha!

/checks calendar. discovers it's not 1st April. Is most confused :scratch:

Tis true! The above picture is really not its best angle. The side-on view of the 406 coupe is classic Pininfarina design studios and certainly the best looking Peugeot on the road. The Corrado is all-german efficiency and manages to look purposeful at best ..

406 coupe could do with better wheels though..

I don't think you could call a Corrado ugly though, surely?!

I really liked the look of the 406 coupe when it came out, but I don't think it's aged that well.

Ugly is harsh, but it's not pretty.. :)

I disagree, I think the 406 coupe (from some angles) has a timeless elegance. Those wheels though .. urg ..

DSCF1846.jpg

an old shot of it, on the way to book our wedding in devon

the lines of it are very crisp and clean and i dont think it has aged that bad considering the other cars on the road at the time and how dated they now look

Wont lie the 406 has caught my eye on the roads before and still looks somewhat modern despite a lot of new cars looking like spaceships with all there fussy lines.

Same here. I think the 406 is a very pretty car. But I don't agree the Corrado is ugly. In fact the odd thing about earlier VW's is that I generally don't like their styling when they are new but they tend to age well and look better when they are old.

Looks a great 406 though :)

an old shot of it, on the way to book our wedding in devon

Yeh not a bad looking yoke at all, nice spot as well overlooking Staunton sands :)