jaded2882

Blackberry VR6 Turbo 4WD- now for sale £7,800

Hey Matt, could you do me a favor when you get some time and take some pics of how the running gear is fitted. How its connected to the floor, how the rear drive train is set up ect just so I can get an idea of how its fitted.

Cheers dude

I can do, not sure how to capture all that with my poor knowledge of 4wd systems :s

You're not coming to Combe on Saturday are you? It would obviously be more useful for you to have a good look at it in person. If not, drop me a message if you're anywhere near Shrewsbury soon and you can come and examine it.

---------- Post added at 5:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:33 PM ----------

Really love this car, if your ever passing my way ( Llangollen) stop by so I can drool over it in the metal!

I go that way a lot but would likely be in the A3 full of camping stuff! Likewise let me know if you're ever in Shrewsbury and you can come and meet it

---------- Post added at 5:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:34 PM ----------

I like the mesh air intake that's been shaped around a fog light lense. Nice touch!

Ye it's clever, you can't really tell from a distance but that huge Evo intercooler needs all the air it can get!

Here's a few videos from a rainy afternoon this week. Not very good quality unfortunately. It's amazing how different it sounds from the outside, you can actually hear the VR sound- on the inside it's nearly all turbo noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV4lZCZtFHQ&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F15gkSdakR0&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjRqCFbNSSk&feature=youtu.be

Edited by jaded2882

Is that this Saturday? I have to work but I will try and come by after as I finish at 2.

Is that this Saturday? I have to work but I will try and come by after as I finish at 2.

Ye it's this Saturday. I have to leave Combe at about 3.30 so hopefully you can make it before then. If we are allowed to go in and out (guessing not) I will take you out in it too.

Sweet.

Well I done an hours over time today so hopefully I can take it back saturday and finish earlier :D

I take it you are enjoying the beast. Good on yeh, that's the one thing I wish I'd done; videos, I have a lovely bit of road that would have done it proud. I am glad you are properly using it...........

For those who have asked 'what's the mpg', I know I have been saying 'I don't want to know' but having refilled both before and after the trip down to Combe, I worked it out.

Just on 20mpg with a mix of A roads and motorway :( It's about what I expected to be honest and I could certainly drive it more sensibly if I had to. But then why would I want to do that?!

Just listened to the videos and it does still have a bit of the lovely VR burble, particularly on the over run. It makes me wonder what mine sounds like from the outside, as from within, as you say, it's very much Turbo noise.

Looks lovely in any case, always had a very soft spot for Blackberrys!

Just listened to the videos and it does still have a bit of the lovely VR burble, particularly on the over run. It makes me wonder what mine sounds like from the outside, as from within, as you say, it's very much Turbo noise.

Looks lovely in any case, always had a very soft spot for Blackberrys!

Those videos don't really do the noise justice- the camera got wet a few years ago during a kayak mishap and it's never recorded audio clearly since then. I will try and get some clearer ones when I can, and some inside ones. Glad to see it has inspired you to give yours some attention again! I do miss not knowing the internals on this car like I did on the G60 as I had done a lot of the mods myself- must be nice having one you've really built up yourself.

MOT at DG on Monday!! I think everything is ok except the reverse light won't work for some reason, hopefully will be an easy fix. If all goes well I will be having the ECU tweaked and the boost turned up a wee bit :)

Oh the irony! So the car sailed through the MOT without a single advisory. Has a full service and then I drive it all the way back to Shrewsbury. About 3 miles from home I go onto the A5 and put my foot down- BANG, CLATTER, CRUNCH.

It was just able to drive slowly but there is a very loud rattling noise coming from under the engine, and it kept 'pulling back' if I went over about 2k revs. The only time the noise goes away with the engine on is if I put the clutch pedal down. I'm guessing the gearbox is dead. I pulled over and got recovered to home to avoid any more damage, and luckily my cover means I can get free recovery back to DG. Can't see anything out of place at the moment but it was really dark and wet when I last looked. I was really p****d off last night but feeling a bit better about it today- at least I haven't crashed it. A higher spec gearbox was kindof on the long term list anyway...

Sounds similar to why happened to me dude. Inside cv joint shattered at the gear box end. Can't imagine it's te box a that was rebuilt not that long ago

It has been done twice in the last 3 years at different places but bear in mind that it's a standard VR gearbox in a 4 motion bellhousing. Funnily enough, just before I left Graham was warning me about the gearbox being underspec compared to the rest of the car! Especially with it being 4wd it's a huge force going through it.

---------- Post added at 5:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:08 PM ----------

Sounds similar to why happened to me dude. Inside cv joint shattered at the gear box end. Can't imagine it's te box a that was rebuilt not that long ago

Where the symptoms similar to mine then? And how much was the repair? Maybe less than a new box :s

I was driving along and changed down gear to over take a lorry, as I lifted the clutch into the lower gear I heard a bang followed by metal on metal grinding and what sounded like bits falling out and hitting the bottom of the car. I dipped the clutch and tried another gear and same thing again in every gear.

Check the passengers side shaft as that is the most common one to go as thats where the most power goes through first before its split into the other drive shafts (if that makes sense)

Costs wise I cant rememeber but Im sure it was around the £160 but some of that was covering the fuel used by Graham to come down and fix it for me (as I couldnt move the car)

IF it is what I said then all it will need is a new inner CV joing at the gearbox

Edited by Swompy

Indeed, I thought my gearbox was F.U.B.A.R when it happened so know the feeling. Plus I was there when Oz turned up after the gearbox went the last time and it sounded nothing like what happened to mine.

In that one it just sounded like a few coins in a tin can where this sounded like a whole coin collection in a tub (if that makes sense)

My gearbox went two years ago was the drive flange as well going into the box some how it slipped out snapped and a small part ended up in the box made a crunching noise and had punched a hole into part of the inside casing.

Hope for the best mate but the chaps I got my second gear box from said they had seen this happen quite a bit and to change the box as there could be bits floating around the gears which could wear them down at a later date.

With 4wd, no wheel spin and all that torque Im putting my money on that. Im sure the 1st/2nd is one piece as well so it could be nasty.