Dutch24V

195/40 17 to 215/40 17 - Ride improved, acceleration screwed?

It's been a while since I last posted on here and it would seem things have changed quite a bit by the looks of it!

I still have the C, but haven't driven her much over the last year or so. She's back in favour at the moment so decided to treat her to some new tyres. I've been running 195/40 on my 17*7.5j rkii's for the last 3 years or so with FK konigsport coilovers lowered +/-40mm.

The ride was terrible though so after much deliberation I've had 4 215/40 17 conti sport contact 3's fitted. I must say the ride is vastly improved, but I've noticed a rather notable drop in acceleration!?

Should I have gone for 205/40's instead? Would it be worth the extra cost and hassle to change?? So far I have no rubbing issues, but I'm not 100% convinced I've made the right choice. I presume 205/40's will give a much better ride than the 195's, but not as good as the 215's? I also presume acceleration will be improved too, but by how much and will I feel the difference? I cannot measure the difference in acceleration, but it feels quite sluggish compared to when running on the 195's! What would be the best bet based on your experiences?

R,

Dutch

I've had both 215/40/17s and 205/40/17s fitted. The 215s made the steering noticeably heavier when on the front (not good for a car phone to understeer!) and always rubbed the arches. 205s were slightly better but in the end I swapped to 195/45/16s which are a vast improvement - same wheel diameter but nearly an inch of extra rubber between you and the road. It'd take some truly amazing wheels to tempt me back to 17s, 16s made a massive difference in handling / comfort, and I think they look better too!

Wider tyres also scrub more, which I think contributed to the appalling state of my rear beam bushes. My arch liners have seen better days as well...

Stone

Well, after several spirited journeys I'm glad to report no rubbing, so far! Haven't driven with any passengers yet mind so need to see how that goes, but so far so good.

Can't say I've noticed the steering being any heavier than before either and strangely less tram lining too?

Maybe yours was dropped lower than mine Stone? Compared to the old 195/40 p zero nero's that were on before the ride is 100% better so I think I've made the right choice. Guess time will tell.

Dutch