VR6

Mk2 Valver, pre-Summer spruce up

Tempted to pick one up as a daily.

What colour is it? Royal Blue?

From checking Ed38 it seems strong money unless the condition matches the description.

Any opinions?

Yep, looks royal blue to me too.. I had one that colour.

It's pretty strong money, but if it's properly tidy it could be worth it.

As above- seems quite pricey, but if it's as good as it sounds, it's probably worth it.

Ok cool, as I thought then. I figure I can probably squeeze him on price.

Values for MK2's seem to be only going one way these days - up! Looks nice and unmolested so might not be a bad buy!

The only thing I was told is that despite being great handling cars and so forth, the interior does seem REALLY basic even compared to the Corrado!

Yeah I do like the fact that a decent one will hold its value really well. And I don't mind spending money on it, especially as I should end up saving money by not running the Evo so much!

I've had quite a few in the past so I know what to expect, although I never got a valver. The interiors are pretty simple but that does mean there's less to go wrong!

I've just lost touch a bit with the old-skool Golfs so figured I would ask the ever useful and knowledgeable CF :salute:

That looks nice. I wish I'd kept my old 16v in a garage hidden away somewhere. It was 10 years old when I sold it and completely immaculate. They do look really basic however.

or you could buy a better looking and handling VW with a nicer driving position and interior with the same engine from the same year for half the price :)

Very true although because I have the Evo, I actually just want something relatively simple.

I don't want to be repairing sunroofs, door handles, replacing ignition switches, having heater controls that only work on 2 settings, facing a 2 day job to replace the heater matrix, wondering why the carpet is drenched etc etc etc. (I am aware that the Golf may suffer some of these problems ... )

Plus there's the fact that I would have to get one from the UK (or take my chances with what's over here already), and get it through the IOM test, which would probably just end up costing me hundreds or thousands more.

Great car and although the money seems strong if the bodywork is very good and solid then you`ll not loose much over the next few years... buy it-clean it-thats it...!!!

Yeah that's the plan matey. It has fairly new £800 suspension, Pirellis with hardly any miles on them, sounds like lots has been replaced.

He did say there's a 50p rust patch on the driver's door so just need to be careful and ensure there's no rot/underlying rust.

few things -

I don't think the wheels are that rare, I have them on my 8v and they're nothing special (i guess i could be wrong)

get some covers for the rainbow interior - i had a mint set in mine and went for a drive with a dessert fork in my back pocket (god knows why) and put about 3 lovely holes in my drivers seat - buy covers now, thank me later! rainbow seats are a big selling point esp if mint (people have asked me if i will sell the seats out of mine!)

I find the interior quite samey to the corrado - just the golf dash doesn't wrap around and point to the driver.

Jon

Yup, they're just 'Le Castellet' wheels off the MK1 Rivage convertible and not 'rare'.

The last time I got into a MK2, it just felt weird. Felt like being a in a van compared to a Corrado and everything just felt more agricultural, slower to react and very basic. I had loads of them but I've completely lost the love for them and would never pay more than a grand for one.

Cheers Mr Monkey :salute: I didn't think much of the wheels - I figured he was told they were rare when he bought it. I think it needs some BBS on there personally. Or TSW Venoms.

Do you normally carry around a dessert fork with you??! Were you on your way to Windsor Castle?

I know what you mean Kev, it's a bit weird ... too upright/close to the windscreen!

Yep! It takes you by surprise just how upright the screen is compared to a Corrado :D But it's why the Corrado was so much faster in a straight line, much better aerodynamics!

Still, a tidy MK2 like that with Corrado running gear and an R32 lump would go and handle bloody well :D

Eibach springs on a MK2 are like rocks mate, so you might want a thorough test drive round the 'circuit' before handing over your loot!

If you want BBS wheels then go for it, the Castels are horrifically heavy! I keep meaning to put some steels on mine, but i only just got nice tyres so they'll stay for now.

Can't remember the reason for the forking, perhaps I just had some pie.

p.s. the venoms were a joke.....right? o_o

That looks very nice indeed. Dare I say too good as a daily ? Apart from the carpets needing a clean, it looks pretty good. Should certainly hold it's money as well. Which is nice.

I only do about 3k miles a year, if that. Probably more like 2k in reality. So my use of the word daily isn't what most people think of!

Well, seeing it in a couple of hours hopefully so will let you know :)

Well I seem to have bought it! :)

Apparently it's not Royal Blue but something like Schwartz Blue? My VW expert mate spotted it. Still apparently pretty few and far between.

It's very tidy, couple of bits of bodywork I will sort and could do with a new clutch but nothing major. Found it hard to fault apart from that.

Cheers :) And thanks for the advice.

I so nearly bought a Mk2 VR6 a few months back but sense prevailed. That was only about 2% original car though so it put me off. This however, apart from some suspension, brakes and alloys is virtually standard.

Clutch will be the first thing to get sorted and then off to the body shop. Then I think it needs a proper detail.

Nice work Tomlinson!

When you swap the wheels over, feel free to send those Castels over to me - much better condition than mine! :salute:

Cheers bud. Tbh I think they're quite nice but I think I might get some Design 90's or something (eventually).

Any idea what a set of the Castels is worth in decent nick?