VR6

Mk2 Valver, pre-Summer spruce up

No, but ebay knows. They're no sebrings, but maybe £100? Do you have all the centre caps?

have you bought some seat covers yet? don't even open the door until you have! :)

Not got the car yet ... picking it up Friday.

The alloys are ok, they don't offend me :)

The seats are in really good nick apart from a small cig burn by the driver's crotch. Surely seat covers means you can't enjoy the lovely rainbowyness?? I don't smoke, never eat or drink in the car so I think they should be ok :)

---------- Post added at 7:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:09 PM ----------

Oh .... Schwartz Blue anyone??

Personally I love Le Castellets, think they're a very nice wheel, and not as common as people think. Been thinking about getting a set for a while now - would definitely be easier to clean than my BBS RAs

Schwartz Blau is a little rarer than Royal Blue, but still a fair few of them knocking about. Schwartz Blau has an almost black look to it (hence the name...), whereas Royal Blue has more of a green tinge.

Rainbow interiors aren't that rare (all big bumper 16v had it as standard, as well as campaign and run out 8v), but definitely desirable. Just be careful getting in and out so as not to squash your driver's bolster and you'll be fine.

Completely agree about the dated feel of the MK2 - the driving position is high, the screen seems almost vertical (!) and the interior is very basic compared to almost everything else. BUT they're chuckable, fun to drive, relatively reliable, easy to maintain and cheap to run, and seem to come alive on twisty B-roads.

The seats are in really good nick apart from a small burn by the driver's crotch.

So it's a dogging car then? :-)

I thinki you will enjoy the golf, and even if you get bored of it just stick it in a nice cosy garage and watch the value go up. Win-win really.... unless you 'Corrado' it and it ends up stripped and laying dormant like a beached whale ;-)

Looking good Mike :afro:

Just picked her up tonight actually. Really like it so far :) Turns a few heads!

Water temp gauge doesn't seem to move - could be the thermostat or a dodgy temp sender. Think it could do with a new clutch. Few squeaks and rattles to track down. MPG seems to be a bit too low on the MFA - not sure if it's running a bit rich. Patch of rust on the driver's door and some paint needed on the sunroof.

But apart from that, she's in pretty fine fettle!

Tommers,

glad you got it and hoping you're not ruining those rainbows! ;-)

might need new guages tbh, not a hard job to do at all, hardest part is disconnecting speedo cable from the back of the cluster. Or you could turn ignition on and get someone to wiggle the connector for the dash temp guage in the engine bay and see if the needle moves. Sometimes mine works and sometimes not. Same with the tacho - seems my tacho will ALWAYS work if it's a cold day(!).

MFA may be a vac line going - again not hard to do, the hard line connects to the back of the clocks with a little black rubber tube.

does it pull well and idle properly? might be blue temp sensor - classic item to go but when it does the car idles like a bag of ass so you'd know about it pretty quick.

hth,

Jonny

Useless without pics...!

Engine is exactly the same as the 1.8 16v in the Corrado, so almost any advice for that applies to the Golf as well.

Likely the thermostat, but there are three temp senders on the side of the head, all have the same rating - try swapping the wires over to see if it could be a dodgy sender.

Try adjusting the clutch cable before writing off the clutch as well - may be a cheap fix.

MPG could be a number of factors - 25 town/35 motorway is normal-ish territory for a valver but if you're getting lower than that you may need to check the timing and CO before anything else.

It wasn't a planned photo but even though the Golf is slightly in the distance I think the attached pic shows how big cars have got these days!

I think it could be the thermostat as it seems to take quite a while to get up to temp as well but I wouldn't rule out the other senders.

It's got a great history but I can't see a recent clutch so I don't mind replacing it. It doesn't feel particularly great and there's about 3 foot of travel before the biting point.

MPG I'm talking about less than 15 just running around town. Which I know isn't accurate. I know you should take these estimates with a pinch of salt but that can't be right. The Evo probably does better!!

I'm off to Greece for a week tomorrow so the car's going to my mechanic for a holiday. There's not much he doesn't know about Golfs having owned at least 30 of them. I think I'll explain the problems and let him crack on :)

the long bite clutch point means that the clutch is new - the higher it bites, the older/more worn it is. Do you have a manual or auto adjusting clutch cable? manual looks like it has a little disc on it, auto looks like a long cylindrical tube part near the box.

I'm sure your matey can sort any issues :-) welcome to the club :D

the long bite clutch point means that the clutch is new - the higher it bites, the older/more worn it is.

Isn't that a contradiction? Long bite point = new clutch. Higher it bites = older/more worn. ??

Looking to replace the windscreen as it's a bit chipped and pitted.

Does anyone know, as standard, whether it should be clear, or blue or green tinted?? Would the part number identify what's on there at the moment? Looks to be a VAG item.

Thank you Mr Fish!

Clutch already changed now.

Gonna pick up a few bits including a (reproduction) windscreen from VW Heritage. Presumably VAG don't still have any originals. Any idea whether I would need a replacement seal as well? Or can the old one be recycled?

The MK2 screen isn't glued in like the Corrado's, so normally you can reuse the seal! Haven't Autoglass got MK2 screens? Just throw a stone at it very hard ;)

I can't confess to this being my handiwork but thought I'd throw up some 'clean' pictures seeing as though there's only about one picture on this thread and it's pretty pants.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo13.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo15.jpgphoto16.jpgphoto17.jpgphoto18.jpgphoto19.jpg

Very nice - looks about as straight as they come mate! :)

Nice work by the detailer...

Cheers guys.

I was actually going to have a crack at the whip myself but when you look at some of the side-by-side comparisons, you can see it needed someone who knew what they were doing!

I have done a few things myself, not that much needs doing. I've re-painted the red grille stipe to bring back a lot more colour. De-milked the inside spot lights - they tend to go quite milky looking with time so a large allen key and some glass cleaner later and they've come up pretty well.

I should have a new windscreen arriving soon as well and then it's going to the bodyshop to have a few minor patches of surface rust around the windscreen taken care of.

The current alloys are nice but just don't fill the arches enough so I think it's going to have to gain some sort of BBS with a respectable ride height.