hipcity

Removing Carpet from Corrado

I was removing the carpet from a 93 2.0 16v Corrado and wanted to know what the big black bolt is under the accelerator pedal? As it is holding down the carpet etc...

also - whats the best way to clean it up?

That part is just a plastic stopper for the pedal, it just unscrews but yes, it's holding the carpet down.

If you can borrow or hire a wetvac that would be best. Just be warned, 2 years ago I used a hosepipe to wash my carpet and it took 5 days to dry in the heat of summer. Avoid getting it too wet!

Valid point about washing the carpets. I've done both mine. Shampoo, conditioner and over the line to dry. Takes a few days to dry but the reults are fantastic.

On a side note. Replace the underlay whilst you're under there. The passenger side may not be too bad but I guarantee the drivers side will be rank.

Put the carpets in the washing machine. Will wring out a lot of the water.

did one of my cars carpets with a jet wash gets ALL the dirt out then left it for four days to dry in a warm place am going to do mine next and redo the sound proofing as was told the same thing (it will need replacing )

Edited by mad-dog
forgot a word

I did mine with a vax,I kept going over it until the water became clean !

Original soundproofing is obsolete,I used a closed cell insulation,waterproof and lighter,doesn't seem any louder in the cabin !

keep the heavy black layer (noise barrier) and replace the foamy bit with some closed cell foam, which basically decouples the barrier from the floor so noise doesnt get conducted into the cabin. You can get the foam from Car Audio direct, although some good camping mats will do a similar job and may even be cheaper (from Tesco!)

I got some from ebay. It was sticky on one side and I actually ended up using it as a replacement door membrane instead.

One thing to mention, the foam is quite thick and makes the floor level. If you remove it, you need to replace it with something of similar thickness otherwise the carpet will have visible diagonals from the floor panels.

When i did my valver carpets i used a hoover for about an hour then a wet vak then once id done that i used some coconut smell shampoo ( hair shampoo ) in a mister bottle mixed with water then did the same with conditioner , smelt ace and the carpets was sooooo soft haha

the only problem with not taking the carpets out is that the water may stagnate in the soundproofing ??and with all the nice smellies you put in it wont take that away