Sign in to follow this  
GsixT

What handles better MK1 Golf GTI Vs Corrado G60

This is it. If I had the money Id keep a mk1 and a corrado. Are the love of the non plausable ideal world :) Age is against the mk1 and finding good examples now is very hard. I dont like basing a project on something uncertain chassis and base wise. This is why i feel I would enjoy a more modern corrado as every mod I do I wouldnt have to worry that something else was going to fall off etc hehe :oops:

Id like to go crossflow on a corrado g60. If only I had the money...how much are we talking for a crossflow setup and what sort of power levels can be expected (with the g ladder attached) ?

I know someone with a mk2 16v with an LSD putting out almost identicle power to my G60 and when i drove it i didn`t think it put down the power any better than my G60 Corrado, may have been a different story in the wet though.

I think the smooth torque curve of the G60 does put down the power very well coming out of corners.

Baz

i agree it only makes a difference coming out of tight corners or at the traffic light granf prix. i can sit at the lights spinning all day if i drive it like a twat!!

above poster's car..

that car is a stunner in my book! exactly how i would want a Mk1, if I had one that is!

I'm borrowing a mk1 1600 from the local garage at the moment while the VR6 is in for work. Tatty round the edges but the drive is wicked. Driving like a hooligan with the back wheel lifting hasn't stopped me grinning (as mentioned earlier, something which seems to have been gradually been lost over the generations). :twisted: Also owned a mk1 1800Gti Lhasa green (how common on here?) and still regret selling it. :(

I've been very tempted to buy another one after that and get rid of the Corrado. The VR is a brittle, dulled down car in comparison. Maybe its me but I like the heavy clutch and brake, a good old solid linkage gear change and the lively responsive drive. Wipping the Saxo / Corsa lot in a 20 year old car to me is far more rewarding than a Corrado too. :)

I honestly think you should keep your mk1 then get something else for your family / comfort. Original and still the best. (off soap box with another pint.)

I miss my MK1, it was mad to drive and looked cool, but it was not as nice an everyday car as the Corrado. I was amazed how much grip the Corrado had the first time I drove it, but that does take away some of the ar5e out fun of the MK1.

For those that ever saw it at shows, this is my old MK1. It is no longer, rear ended by a Peu%&ot 405.

Jay.

I had an 82 Mk1 1600 GTI, very low hard suspension, could not put up with it every day though.

I wanted to replace it with a Corrado but could not afford it and got an 8v 1990 Mk2, which was almost as much fun and handled almost as well.

Finally got my Corrado and so far have been dissapointed with the handling, I have gas shocks, 35mm lowered springs polly front suspension bushes. It still is not as chuckable as the MK1 and I'm not as confident in it, although I'm trying std rear springs at the moment because it has a tendancy to break away at the rear, its definately better with the softer springs, but it does not make me grin like the good old MK1.

Absolutely superb looking wee MK1 there :)

What engine etc did it have?

I have never driven a MK1 - just my mk2 before the corrado.

Cheers, it was a very tidy little car after a hell of a lot of work.

It had a 145BHP 1.8 8v. Did a standing 1/4 in 15.65 secs.

It had all the usual, coilovers etc.. but also had a MK4 polo dash.

I was gutted when it got written off, but I ended up with a Corrado G60 and have not regretted it since. For everyday driving the Corrado is much more useable than the MK1, especially on long journeys.

Jay

Cheers, it was a very tidy little car after a hell of a lot of work.

It had a 145BHP 1.8 8v. Did a standing 1/4 in 15.65 secs.

It had all the usual, coilovers etc.. but also had a MK4 polo dash.

I was gutted when it got written off, but I ended up with a Corrado G60 and have not regretted it since. For everyday driving the Corrado is much more useable than the MK1, especially on long journeys.

Jay

reminds me of my old mk 1's, great fun :twisted: , especially the jetta, ugly as hell but very well balanced with the boot on the back, looked odd after fitting the golf wings and front panel though (see my graphic next to my post)

David.

Drive my new corrado G60 and mk2 16v back too back week in week out and the corrado deffinetaly encourages taking the bends faster. It seems 10mph up on most corners compared too the Golf and is as stable as the Golf would be. Im still too find thelimits of corering grip and I think a track is the only place I can do it safely. Both have koni TAs and as much as I love the Golf for its chuckability the Corrado is the better handeler in my opinion. In saying that, I still never sell my mk2 :mrgreen:

I heard before the the Corrado was classed as te best handeling FWD drive car with the integra type R a few years back.