hipcity

Engine Stalling when coming to a stop

Hi

This is becoming a bit annoying. When slowing down getting ready to stop - the engine stalls? Does not happen all the time.

Corrado - 93 2.0L 16v

The air filter was replaced not that long ago and ive cleaned out the carb with carburetor cleaner, which has stopped the car idleing randomly at 3000Rev when stopped :-)

Check hoses for air leaks. I imagine it's probably more likely to stall when coming to a stop quickly.

Check the battery clamps too. Mine was slightly loose and did something similar until I tightened it.

Your engine does not have a carburettor, so where have you been squirting the cleaner?

A jamming Idle Stabilisation Valve is the most likely culprit, although I'd be interested to understand the theory behind a loose battery clamp causing this... :)

The part that clips onto the air box all the way back to the top of the engine

---------- Post added at 8:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:21 PM ----------

Thanks for the replies

But where are the following found :-)

- Idle Stabilisation Valve

- Torn metering head

Your cleaning the throttle body (kinda the same thing as a carb in old money) so thats a srtart. Im assuming he means the cork seal on the metering head, and its the seal on top of the airbox that the metering head sits on. ISV is a small cylindrical item that sits just to the right of your inlet mannifold. It sits in a round rubber retaining ring, and has an electrical connector on the end of it. It also buzzes when the ignition is switched on. To locate it if your unsure, switch your ignition on to turn two then back off a couple of times, and look for the thing thats buzzing. :o

My C 92 16V 2.0 is doing the same thing pretty much, except it idles like a panting dog aswel ;P

---------- Post added at 9:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:04 AM ----------

Hipcity - Check / clean all your connectors as well. Mine did this a while back, turns out a wire broke away from the ISV connector block (Seanl8 is right on the money for ISV's location). A simple but solid re-solder with heat shrink to cover sorted the problem.

Edited by tentonhammer