frankjetta

engine dilemma

Hi, my '94 2.0 16v has just failed the m.o.t. on emissions. Taking into account it has done 143,000 miles

do I look for a similar engine, get it rebuilt or replace it with a different engine? I am not bothered about how

fast it goes but need reliability and cheap to fix (not true of the 16v). Can a 1.8 8v out of a scirroco be made to work?

The problem is I have a max budget for engine work of £1000. I really want to keep driving the corrado because the

rest of it isn't to bad but it might be to much for me. Any ideas for a cheap fix would be great. Car is now off road until I can sort it.

143 K is roughly the time these engines start to loosen up. My old gti had 256k and it still ran smoothly. Could u just find out why it failed? May not be the engine,might b the injection system or ignition system.how far was the emissions off?

As above, or the cat itself. If you replaced the engine though, would you do it yourself? I'd steer well clear of an engine from a prehistoric rocco though! Best option imo would be an abf from a mk3 golf 16v. Can easily be had for £150 nowadays. Factor in fluids and filters, new clutch, all gaskets and anything else you fancy and your still gonna have change from £500. Nice smooth reliable engine, and a small bump in power to boot!

"Failed on emmissions" .. in what way? CO level? Or lambda?

If it's CO level you need a new CAT, if it's lambda then you have a simple fuelling issue.

Thanks guys, the readings are:-fast idle CO 0.81, HC 246 and lambda 1.05

second fast idle CO 0.84, HC 283 and lambda 1.05

natural idle test CO 0.85.

I think I have a cracked exhaust manifold which may be causing the lambda to read wrong and overfuel

but this is only a theory, tried to seal cracks for a temporary test but no difference.Still to try,leaky injectors,cat,air filter,all mentioned as possibles. At the end of the day it still smokes a bit although the mot bloke said this isn't causing the failure.

How easy is the swap to an ABF engine? I could manage a nut and bolt swap over time.

---------- Post added at 4:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:32 PM ----------

I think I have a cracked exhaust manifold which may be causing the lambda to read wrong and overfuel

but this is only a theory, tried to seal cracks for a temporary test but no difference.Still to try,leaky injectors,cat,air filter,all mentioned as possibles. At the end of the day it still smokes a bit although the mot bloke said this isn't causing the failure.

How easy is the swap to an ABF engine? I could manage a nut and bolt swap over time.

---------- Post added at 4:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:33 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 4:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:34 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 4:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:35 PM ----------