fla

Audi A4 to Passat CC a step down?

Looking to replace the Audi - nothing wrong with it, just its a 54 plate and i fancy something a bit newer.

Thing is, its an S-line so not so common (Corrado rarity influence here!) and whilst i do like the new A4 and A5 they are a regular sight on the roads. The CC on the other hand is a bit of a Q-car. Again as with the Corrado you dont see too many of them, which i like. It looks nice too, is quite comfortable, has enough toys for me and a 2-3 year old one is within budget. Will be used mainly for work and business trips and is comfortable enough for the family.

BUT, and i think this is a big 'but', its a VW versus and Audi, the latter having the greater prestige, and although it is based on the A5 chassis its still a VW.

Dont fancy getting a 5-series or an E-class.

Any comments?

Just my opinion but audi is no better then vw despite the slightly improved build quality.

As far as driving experience is concerned other then the rs models I think they're pretty poor for a 'prestige' brand.

Anyway I'd rather a passat cc anyday. But I will also say that I'd rather a merc or BMW over any vw/Audi. They're just a more accomplished car and will always be regarded as being more prestigious in most circles.

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, I'm slightly surprised that how you might be perceived by other people in a VW compared to an Audi is your only real concern? I personally don't get the why Audi are perceived as being any better than VW or Skoda and so forth.. the ones I've been in don't seem significantly better than their peers - they just cost more.

I think the Passat CC looks superb and I'd expect the interior quality to be at least as good as that of the A4. Why not give one a test drive and see what you think?

Audis are bloody everywhere. Get something different. Get a nice CC R36!

Agree with Abdul on Merc and BMW, although I'd take BMW over Merc as they're better drivers cars!

i just dont like Mercs, no matter how good or involving they may be. So its between VAG and BMW for me. I dont like the 3-series, although its a very accomplshed vehicle, for me it just has a bad image based upon the fools that drive it, and is perhaps a bit too small.

I'd love an R36 CC, but couldnt afford to run it as a daily! 200bhp would be sufficient for me. The A4 gives me good town mileage as well as on the motorway (only a 1.8T). Its nice to look at with the 18" rims, (19s are too large imo), a nice drop, quite quiet and smooth and pulls a little when i need the extra power, nothing spectacular, just a bit boring and lifeless. And my parents are comfortable in the back, plus the kids dont mind it either. Sounds like i need a Jag, a pipe and some slippers...

Edited by fla

Can you get over the brand image of the Skoda Octavia? I just got an Octavia VRS Estate and it's absolutely fantastic - I'm thrilled to bits with it. You could probably get a new or nearly new one for your budget!

A4 to a Passat would be a slight stop down depending on spec but the CC is in a league of it's own, superb and very underrated car!

An early E60 5 series 520d sounds like the vehicle for you Hasan....

funny you say that, i was looking at the 530d with the spider alloys. Might have to retract my not wanting a 5 series... Still do find myself drawn to the CC though

CC any time - I've gone thru audi's and they've become a lazy brand, go for a vw as the audi is the same -just in a more expensive fur coat. My business just sold one which had done 100k miles in 3yrs since new without any problems, beautiful in white with the smoked glass and sharp lines - all the bells and whistles, the lad who inherited it had audi's before and was so impressed we've just got him another. Stand out from the crowd - go 'CC'.