MikeVR6

Late VR6 Fuel Pump

My fuel pump is buzzing. So it's on its way out.

Is this the correct part number? - 1H0919651Q

Do VR's have 2 pumps, one in-tank and another under the car, like my old 16v?

Might seem a daft question. But I'm looking at German E-Bay, since I live in Germany. And a lot of the Ads say "Only for VDO System". Hence I need confirmation of the correct part no. for a UK VR6.

Another part no. I found is 535919051A

Which looks more like a Corrado specific part number.

Mines gone too. I plan to have it out today, so i will copy down the part no. for you. Its from a 1995 vr6 obd2.

Nice one mate. If you could post a picture of it too that would be great.

I think the pump I'm after is this one http://www.meat-doria.com/en/product_meat/76410/3932 .

But you see from the huge list of part numbers that it's easy to get confused. This one is a Pierburg. The ones listed on German E-Bay make a point of stating "for VDO system only"

I guess the only way to be sure is to remove mine but I don't want to risk knackering it in the process. It is working although a little noisey.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:58 AM ----------

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Benzinpumpe-Kraftstoffpumpe-VW-Corrado-2-9-VR6-4-0bar-/150481855830?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item23096ae556

This is the one I was going to order. Not the cheapest, about middle of the price-range on E-Bay at €61 inc post. Part No. 1H0 919 651 Q

Its a shame your not closer to Stuttgart!

I did mine back in Feb/March on my Golf VR6 upgraded from 3 to 4bar pump. I got the VDO in the end from our local car parts place, wasn't as cheap as eBay but i knew it would be genuine and should anything happen easier to return/replace. As far as i know the eBay ones are cheap copies and therefore there might be quality issues.

Getting the pipes of the pump to the level gauge/unit were the hardest.

AFAIK the VR6 only has the one pump in the tank.

It should be possible to tell with your VIN number if you have the Pierburg or VDO. ETKA displays the following

50-N-000 001 >> 50-R-008 000

Pierburg

50-R-008-001 >>

VDO

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

As it's an N reg and its probably been built in 1995 I would therefore tend to a VDO pump.

1993 will usually have a P in the VIN number

1994 R

1995 S

1996 T

i.e. WVW DB4505 LK234567

so this is a 1990 model

Thanks for the excellent info there mattwelcer. My VIN has an S prefix so '95 and VDO.

Can you remember how much your pump cost?

This is the one I was going to order from ebay.. click

How's your German? Google translate doesn't give a clear idea of what this means...

"Bei Pierburg-System muss der Tankgeber auf VDO umgebaut werden"

Edited by MikeVR6

My German is OK been here over 10yrs now ;)

It states that if you have the Pierburg-System it has to be altered to VDO system (the tank fill level sensor). I don't know if its a case of unpinning the electrical connections or if the actual level sensor has to be switched around. But as you have VDO then it will be OK. I can't remember exactly off hand what it cost for just the pump, I'll look through my receipts tonight and let you know!

Edited by mattwelcer

That would be great.

From looking on UK sites €60 seems about right for a genuine pump. But just want to be sure. With my limited German it's difficult to order parts over the counter.

A genuine VDO pump wasn't that cheap, somewhere around the 200€ mark. :(

Might be cheaper to get it from the UK...?

Here is the VDO part no. E22-041-060Z

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

This seems like a genuine pump

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VDO-BENZINPUMPE-KRAFTSTOFFPUMPE-4-0BAR-E22-041-060Z-VW-/170727141808?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item27c02171b0

Ebay # 280903373248

I don't trust the cheap ones on eBay for 60€ there has to be a reason they are so cheap when the genuine VDO retails for around 250-300€

Mine started buzzing once, i never replaced it and the noise went away, must of done another 10,000miles since

Half expecting it to need replacing once i had car built again

A genuine VDO pump wasn't that cheap, somewhere around the 200€ mark. :(

Might be cheaper to get it from the UK...?

Here is the VDO part no. E22-041-060Z

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

This seems like a genuine pump

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VDO-BENZINPUMPE-KRAFTSTOFFPUMPE-4-0BAR-E22-041-060Z-VW-/170727141808?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item27c02171b0

Ebay # 280903373248

I don't trust the cheap ones on eBay for 60€ there has to be a reason they are so cheap when the genuine VDO retails for around 250-300€

Jeez! I agree on using genuine parts though. Especially when the original has lasted 97k miles and 17 years. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.

Just by way of an update, i was going to take the fuel pump out, but i removed the relay and when i put it back in again the pump primed and the car started normaly! So not planning on taking the pump out now! Looks like youve got some expert advice from the other members anyway, so guess you dont need me anymore! Hope it all works out for you. :-)

Thanks Neo3670. Yes the Forum has come through once again. The new pump should arrive today and I'll drop it in over the weekend.

Good advice there on the relay too.

Just for extra info - I had my pump replaced after failure of original in December 2009.

Part No was as in 1st post. £170 incl VAT!

Diagnostic and labour £141!!

Total £311.

I hope the possible sale of C goes through.

Edited by craigowl

Cheers Craig. £141 to fit a fuel pump. Bit pricey :)

Yes - fed to the sharks with that one, I would say. Garage owner did give me a calendar though next time I saw him!