Sign in to follow this  
rmn

Retro fitting ABS

I know the Corrado ABS system isnt the best, but i was wondering whats needed to retro fit it to a '92 G60?

I knwo you need the brain and loom.

Are the sensors in the hubs?

I was also told that the drive shafts were different?

Has anyone done this? or has anyone got the kit for sale?

Thanks

The Corrado ABS system is fine... All G60's should have it but some early ones didn't because of supply problems I think, All 91/92's car will have it.

No i have 2 '92s that dont have it, only became standard in the middle or end of 1992

It was an option before that

Yeah ive not got it either :( after some dicey moments i think it might be a wise investment!!

Corrado ABS system is a good piece of kit, gives a slightly remote pedal feel than the early non-ABS cars but as ABS systems go suffers very little to the Gremlins, other than wheel sensors, in my experience. As for retro fitting it i once considered this back in 1994 and bought what i thought was the entire kit. Although however on closer inspection found that a whole load more was required at considerable cost. You will need: pump unit, servo with sensor, master cylinder and reservoir, fluid transfer pipework to pump from reservoir, 2 x heat shields, pump mount bracket, hydraulic pipework and unions, ABS control unit, wiring loom, ABS wheel sensors x 4 and wiring supports, wheel sensor rotors x 4, front wheel bearings x 2 ( owing to install requirement of rotors ), dash warning light etc. The only advantage there might be now as to back in "94" is that there are many more breaker options. If you are still keen on this------- GOOD LUCK! Personally i opted for the other option, cadence breaking!!

Bugger, does that mean that the heat shields I just removed ('cos they were in the way of the Brembo conversion! ;) ) were actually needed for the ABS?!?

Interesting post this, coming back from the coast on the A29 I was faced with a new astra breaking to turn right through the dual carriageway slip onto the other side, think i must have been tired as i noticed him a little late........slammed the anchors on and the back end stepped right out.................scared the *hit out of me, luckily i stopped breaking and looked in the offside mirror to make sure there was no car on the inside lane before steering round the car in front!

Great brakes in the dry but wet is another matter without ABS.................

u should check out your compensator mate!

AND rear bushes... :?

, i found my car stepped out. late 92 no abs. :( . and after changing everything. and after the advise of many top tuners, i changed the hard pipe from the servo to the front near side , problen solved, it would seem that there was a slight blockage in the pipe, possible from new, it only came apparent when upgrading to the brembos, i was getting 450 kgf on the offside front and only 250kgf on the near side, the rears were equall at 205kgf, , but now its coming back so i may need to replace the ft off side. it's really only apparent when stamping on the brakes at over 100. but it can catch you off guard. it used to try to spin the car round, a true pant staining experiance. :oops:

take it to a brake centre and get them to test the braking force. and if their off and after bleeding they still aren't equal try a new master cyinder, and rework the pipes. oh and i did try new rear bushes, , christ they were fun putting in :shock:

Not sure who was more scared the bloke in front, car behind or me lol

G60bv - I'll pick your brains at No rice about this as I need to start using the car to get to Crawley and back for work soon, dont fancy another incident like that again................I put it down to the rain but thinking about it the car should still lock and go forward in a straight line eh

So basicly to fit abs you need to have acces toa car being scrapped!

Is there a pickup on the driveshaft?

Sorry to bring this up again but.....

Do you need all the metal pipes or just the pipes from pump to servo unit?

I have found a car with abs being broken, maybe 2 of them, but wna t ot give the guy a list of what i need.

Also anyone got any idea of what it should cost?

cheers

If you're gonna do this, make up new metal pipes... much easier and safer too... 8)

Prob the best option Henny, the car is going o get totally stripped anyway!

Just trying to figure out is there a difference in the layout of the pipes?

I was looking at the etka and it doesnt seem to have any difference in pipe types!

Thanks

I've got an ABS pump, loom and brain and a few sensors off a 1996 golf VR6 for sale. that'll fit easy and work. you don't need the rear compensator with this sytem either.