Benjevw

Synta silver oil

Hey peeps just a quicky. Is this the right synta oil for a vr6? When "synta silver" is said, is silver just the colour of bottle? As it doesn't say silver on it! Seems quite cheap for 2x 5ltr bottles ! Cars on 126k with a slight leak on the rear crank seal. It's got a mixture of different oil in it I think so just wanna change it for piece of mind.

Thanx

Ben

Ben, yes because of the silver coloured bottle it's often refered to as synta silver :)

Cheers kip .

Forgot to put the item no. Lol

eBay item no. 180920277211

£36 delivered!! Good?

Cheers kip .

Forgot to put the item no. Lol

eBay item no. 180920277211

£36 delivered!! Good?

Could be better but will probably be more at a dealers these days, i think i bought 4 x5 litre bottles for £50 delivered last time i bought some which was a year or so ago now.

Do you have a local tps? it may not be much different price wise but worth a check.

Listers, Coventry vw dealer, we're doing 5l of synta for 13 quid at the Stanford Hall show at the weekend, which seemed pretty cheap to me.

Not sure if there's one near me . May be 1 in mk!

Was Gunna get some from a guy at gti international who said "it's going cheap as Vw don't use it anymore". That was 15 quid a bottle but ran outa money by the time I got back round to him. Can any1 find out/ any1 know how much it is from TPS?

Cheeers

Ben

TPS in mk said 16.50 +vat!

So at a guess ittll be around 35 quid for two.

I've got about £50 in my PayPal account to use up so might just get it off eBay .

Ben

I have been watching that same listing on eBay for a while now!

Is the silver synta the best oil to use?

That seems expensive even if it is dealer price. I can get synta "gold" fully synthetic (equivalent) for £28.

Is that for 2 x 5ltr?

Ben

Didnt think so!

Is the fully synthetic better? Or does it depend what mileage/condition engine you have?

Ben

That seems expensive even if it is dealer price. I can get synta "gold" fully synthetic (equivalent) for £28.

Enough to fill a vr6? Isn't it 7 litres for the engine?

At risk of starting a big old oil debate, there's not much point in putting fully synthetic in an older vw engine and unless you are treating the engine really harshly, boosted, racing etc, or doing big mileages before changes then synta semi is just fine. Just change it every year or 7-10k

Iirc vr6 is just annoyingly over one bottle, so 5.5 litres?

Iirc vr6 is just annoyingly over one bottle, so 5.5 litres?

Correct !

---------- Post added at 4:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:12 PM ----------

4l of 10/40 semi synthetic is 8 quid from asda.

Is that the castrol ??? it was on offer for about a tenner last year and i stocked up !

At the risk of starting another debate, don't VW specify 5W30 instead of 10W40? I have the latter in mine but will be swapping over next change...

Stone

no that was for 5 litres to be fair and yes its annoying that the vr is 5.5 litres :lol:

I put fully synthetic in as its a refurb vege engine and has always had fully synthetic in. though i agree david if it was the original engine it would just have semi synth in it.

---------- Post added at 8:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:33 PM ----------

Is that for 2 x 5ltr?

Ben

reading back ben where did someone say they could get 2 x 5litres for £35... not having a go, just curious as thats a good price, if the oil is good and if its semi or full synthetic

cheers

VW in Reading tell me they don't sell it any more so i've ordered it from the Ebay seller mentioned earlier on.

Seems ok price for 2x 5L when you don't have a tps account.

no that was for 5 litres to be fair and yes its annoying that the vr is 5.5 litres :lol:

I put fully synthetic in as its a refurb vege engine and has always had fully synthetic in. though i agree david if it was the original engine it would just have semi synth in it.

---------- Post added at 8:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:33 PM ----------

reading back ben where did someone say they could get 2 x 5litres for £35... not having a go, just curious as thats a good price, if the oil is good and if its semi or full synthetic

cheers

It was from eBay. It ses on the ad "12.99 a can if collected" aswell which is good. Its the silver synta bottle so should be semi.

Heres the eBay no. 180920277211

Good feedback n that

Ben