KADVR6

fitting piston rings

what is the best and easiest way of fitting them, as can't seem to get hold of the correct vw tool from anywhere.

Karl

I'd only advise on using the VW tool to avoid damaging / breaking the rings.

i do hear what your saying Pete, but was told by vw that they are not available anymore?

I made a teflon wedge with a 7.5 degree slope to allow use of a normal piston ring compressor. I'll post a photo if your interested.

Hi Karl is it for putting the rings on the piston? if so there are some special pliers to open them up or use some bent long nosed pliers and cut a slot on the back edge

If its for the pistons back into the block correct no longer for sale from VW as when I bought mine they said it was the last one. If you want I could post it to you to lend if you like?

Chris that would be amazing if you could, i will happily pay postage and any other costs mate.

this is what this forum is about, and im gonna miss this if i do sell the car.

Remember you don't want the ring gaps on the thrust faces Karl and before you put a piston assembly anywhere near the tool, absolutely drench it in oil first. Get a lunchbox, fill it with oil, then dunk the piston assembly in it first...... might be worth sliding an old piston in and out several times first :D

Those VW plastic funnels can be a pain and if you snag a ring on it, hmmmmm, it's usually game over.

Edited by Kevin Bacon