Portent

Decision time for the Golf 4Mo

I've owned my 2003 5dr Indigo blue V6 4Mo since it was 6 months old. Despite losing so much money over that time in depreciation it has been a fantastic family car. Being an ex-demonstrator it was fairly highly specced with heated leather, climate, winter pack, uprated audio (even with rare audio controls on the steering wheel), uprated factory suspension and optional santa monica alloys. While the mk4 doesn't get much love in the wider community I really love the car. It's a lovely quiet, smooth place to be and it has been an effortless cruiser. With Haldex it is a very sure footed car and able to put its reasonable torque down without drama.

It is currently on only 60k so is low mileage. It is in generally excellent condition inclusing bodywork which usually has any minor issue fixed. Full VAG history obviously.

However it is now worth very little, is starting to show a few niggles that need fixing, needs the rear suspension bushes replacing and is due the larger 60k service including Haldex service. I'm probably going to need to spend around £1k on it in the next couple of months not including tax and MOT.

So I'm starting to wonder if it is worth part exchanging it for a mk5 Golf. Looking around I can probably get a 5dr GTI for around £6k to £7k. It isn't much newer and would still be higher mileage that the 4Mo. It also wont have the sure footedness of Haldex which I love and the creamy low down pull of the V6. But at least it will retain some value in the car. If I keep the 4Mo then it will be just about worthless in another couple of years. Also while driving an older car doesn't bother me (my other car is 18yrs old after all), I think it is starting to bother my wife slightly.

The kids will be devastated though because they grew up in the car and don't want me to sell it. Despite the very few niggles it really is a really great car and I doubt there are many around in such good condition.

Thoughts and opinions? Sell and upgrade or keep and run into the ground?

60k is nothing, and you know you've looked after it well, I'd keep it till 100k minimum, always liked the 4mo, very underrated as a complete package, I've a feeling whilst they are good cars in their own right the mk5 won't be as good a car as the v6 and will soon need money spent on it too, only plus I can see of the gti is better economy and a slightly more up to date feel although some of the interior is more plasticky.

Personally speaking, I like the shape of the mk5 loads more than the mk4. BUT you know the car and it has served you well. Would be difficult to jump ship and start again with another car. Would love an Edition 30 but would be a bit pricey compared to the mk4.

well all i'm gonna say is "better the devil you know" ok it needs some bushes and a service. but its never let you down?? its like saying my wifes titties are sagging a bit so do i go for a younger model?? but i can tell you a younger model will cost you more to maintain in the long run so stick with old saggy titties for a while longer.

karl

imo it sounds like you got a good car! so why change that? you owe it a service which is normal running costs for any car,sounds like your worried by how much there worth and what your loosing in appreciation but your willing to splash out 6-7k on a gti, which surely you would loose out more money if you went that route in the end? just because the 4mo's dont go for much doesnt mean you have to sell yours,

I never used to like the MK4 Golf, thought it was a bit too flabby.. Changed my mind now though, as I've got a MK4 anni, and love it :)

Went for a test drive in a MK5 GTI first, it was quick but noisy and just felt a bit soul less..

Go for a test drive and see what you think :)

Keep the 4Mo would be my suggestion. Balance up the pro's and con's and I can almost guarantee keeping it will come up trumps.

So you're expecting to spend 1k on servicing? How much is your cost to change into something else? Much more than 1k. So financailly it doesn't really make much sense. The longer you keep the 4mo, the better value it becomes. The Mk5 will still depreciate, don't kid yourself that buying a newer car will avoid it!

How do you know what sort of life your next car has had? As said, better the devil you know.

Also, you're losing out on something that seems increasingly important - grip in snow. All you need is that ONE day you REALLY need to be somewhere and you're stuck with your FWD car, cursing the day you sold your 4wd one! lol

I don't like Mk4's, but if I had to have one, it'd be a V6 4Motion. My friend had one and it was a really nice car.

Finally, I bought a newer car to take over the Corrado's duties - faster, bigger and so on. I'm about to sell it, just didn't have the soul and is no cheaper to run, quite the opposite.

Just my random and uncollated thoughts on a dreich Monday morning!

I never used to like the MK4 Golf, thought it was a bit too flabby.. Changed my mind now though, as I've got a MK4 anni, and love it :)

Went for a test drive in a MK5 GTI first, it was quick but noisy and just felt a bit soul less..

Go for a test drive and see what you think :)

My thoughts entirely. MK4s are pretty soggy as standard (the 4Mo & diesels especially) but they really do respond well to decent aftermarket suspension. The base platform is a pretty good one. It just needs better dampers and bushes etc. My mate's 1.8T had Eibachs, Konis and Neuspeed ARBs and that used to keep with my Corrado through the twisties easily.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about MK5s. The R32 is quiet when cruising, but the GTI is horribly boomy. The Corrado is like a Bentley in comparison.

You're into good Octavia VRS money at £7,000. I looked for a MK5 GTI at that money and couldn't find anything good but lots of good Octavia's at that money. I'm absolutely loving mine!

Thanks for the thoughts so far. The Octavia isn't a bad shout, but I don't think my wife would like it (wrong badge and it has a boot - she likes the size and shape of Golfs). I've tried approaching the subject of Jetta's as they are essentially a Golf witha boot but much better value and she doesn't like the boot. I've even suggested a 1 series BMW or older 3 series... she wants another Golf.

I must admit I will really miss the 4wd if we change the car. It does seem to make more financial sense to keep it.

she wants another Golf.

I must admit I will really miss the 4wd if we change the car. It does seem to make more financial sense to keep it.

why not give it a spruse up with r32 bodykit and rep wheels?

Bodykit? Not my thing even if it is an R32 one.

Turbo? Hmmm. Tempting but the idea here is to try to buy wisely for the future rather than spend money on it :)

The Octavia isn't a bad shout, but I don't think my wife would like it (wrong badge)

It's amazing that's still a problem for some people! :(

The badge is everything in this country Jim. We're a nation of shallow car owners where yummy mummy's can't turn up to their stupid Mother / child coffee mornings unless it's in a ridiculous pimped Range Rover that Victoria Beckham designed.

I like your car Jim.......

......but it would be better if it had 4 rings on the front :lol:

The badge is everything in this country Jim. We're a nation of shallow car owners where yummy mummy's can't turn up to their stupid Mother / child coffee mornings unless it's in a ridiculous pimped Range Rover that Victoria Beckham designed.

I like your car Jim.......

......but it would be better if it had 4 rings on the front

:lol: :)

Yep, I still get the odd stupid comment about mine. Last one was from a Pug 307 CC owner (bloke!) :lol:

well all i'm gonna say is "better the devil you know" ok it needs some bushes and a service. but its never let you down?? its like saying my wifes titties are sagging a bit so do i go for a younger model?? but i can tell you a younger model will cost you more to maintain in the long run so stick with old saggy titties for a while longer.

karl

I agree with this, although i will add that its not a bad idea to shell out some money on uprated parts and then give the old girl a decent service.

Yep, I still get the odd stupid comment about mine. Last one was from a Pug 307 CC owner (bloke!) :lol:

Ah - the epitome of fine modern motoring.. I'd rather ride a bike than drive one of those!

Sounds like a good one. Ive had two and they are the best all round Mk4. As you say they are not going for much now but I think they are brilliant. Mk5 chassis is a decent step up and I really liked my Mk5 Gti as well. Fettling the Mk4 suspension and a remap will make a much better car. Overall the Mk5 Gti is a better car but is it twice the price better than yours, I dont really think it is. MPG wise you are probably only 5mpg worse of in the 4mo as well.

Just googled pug 307 cc, ....oh dear me.., really like the 4mo for the money and it sounds like you have a bit of a one off, its a known quantity and as others have said a little money would make a world of difference to it and it should keep going for a lot longer.

It's amazing that's still a problem for some people! :(

Not me. I've just put a deposit on a Fabia 1.4 MPI. Yes I know its slooooooow, but its mainly for the missus to run around in. Its absolutely mint, 38k, FSSH, 12 Months MOT, and 5 Months Tax. Was a PX at the dealership, and cost £1500. Not too bad considering the milage I think. The insurance is seriously low too! Thats the best part as not many young chavs drive them to death, and who steals a Skoda! :smug: