cdem

Help with a few issues

Starting to get annoyed with the rado now and clutching at straws with what's up. After about 7-10 days my battery will be flat so the car won't start. This has been happening for a while now. Battery was new 11 months ago, I've cleaned up the earths and tried 2 alternators. Am I right in thinking this could mean I either have a nakered battery or an issue with the wires going from the alternator to the battery or could there be another issue?

Unrelated my passenger side wing mirror no longer adjusts, when I try adjusting it with the nob thingy it makes a noise in the drivers mirror but nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

More likely you have an earth somewhere mate. Do an earth check to eliminate that, as its free if you have a multimeter. Mine used to go flat after about 4 or 5 days, and it transpired to be my uprated headlight loom had been catching of the rad fan, burning through the insulation, and shorting out on the fan cowling. You can also check your alternator wiring with a multimeter. :thumbleft:

Multimeter seems a good investment then :-) ill do that cheers. Any ideas what sort of readings I should be looking for? It won't be a headlight loom a I got rid I my updated one and also have no stereo so minimal electrics in the car

Sounds like you have a "parasitic drain". Best to buy a decent digital multimeter and have a trawl through google as there's loads of topics on how to test.

I was going to suggest stereo as that's what did me a coupke of years back. Also check the rear interior boot light.

Best of luck.

Defiantly not the boot light, cars stripped and caged so something like that would be easy to spot :-)

I've forgot the main issue I'm having aswell!

I get terrible clutch judder in reverse and sometimes a little bit in the lower gears. Just put 1ltr of gear box oil in to eliminate that and it's all ended in the floor. It's leaking from where the gearbox meets the block. Would this mean the gearbox has had it??

Thanks

More than likely just the seal, but its gearbox off to replace it obviously. I'd be more concerned about the damage that could have been caused by running it dry. Do you have any grinding or engagement issues when selecting gear?

I have no issues at all. Car still drives fine and if anything it's a million times smoother thought the gear changes. Time to buy a recond box and rebuild the abf sat in the garage I guess!

You can get some handy adapters that pretend to be a blade fuse with leads that connect to the multimeter and this allows you to measure load and current drain through the fuse board. Just connect it to each fuse in turn and see what's happening when the ignition is off.