joby

Corrado wont start, Not my day! is there an ignition switch relay?

Not my day today! Trying to sort out my wheel alignment now this!! Got in the car turned ignition to crank and just a buzzing sound happens from fuse area, so im thinking some sort of relay? Is there one for the ignition? Before i start blaming the switch itself! It did this yesterday but started after a couple of attempts! Battery is good by the way

Sounds like it could be the fuel pump relay, should be the relay in the bottom left of the fuse panel marked 167 iirc it should just click when ignition switched on not buzz, cheap enough remedy if it is just the relay plenty on ebay.

The fuel pump is priming though banana man, as soon as you turn the key full turn it just makes a buzz a bit like the oil pressure buzzer, proper wierd, as i said its done it before but after a couple of goes always fired

Oh sorry you never mentioned fp was priming ;) I would say possible ignition switch, I take it that the car doesn't turn over on the starter when its buzzing?

Weak or failed solenoid on the starter possibly, hit the starter with a hammer :) usually starts to fail on a hot engine as magnet is weaker

Just had another look and pulled the fuse box cover off and the buzzing definately coming from there and after a couple of jiggling about it started, but its doing it on and off so there must be a relay thats on its way out but which one? is there one thats to do with ignition i wonder, cant seem to find any info on relays for an early valver

There is a master ignition relay I'm sure. I'll be home in about an hour and I'm pretty sure I still have the list in my "useful information" folder, so will fish it out for you mate.

Next time it does it gently touch each relay, you should feel it vibrating.

Sorry dude, got sidetracked watching the cycling! Anyway, here we go;

Position: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Relay No: nil 72 nil 18 43 21

rear scr Ign main ? Indicator/

wash relay hazards

Inter wipe/

Relay No: nil scr wash nil fogs horn fuel pump

Position: 7 8 9 10 11 12

Put your hand on each one when its happening, you will obviously feel which one is buzzing away. Hope this helps mate.

Edit, didn't come out how I wrote it so I'll go again!

Relays left to right, 1-6 top, 7-12 bottom row.

position 1 - nil, 2 - relay 72 = Rear screen wash, 3 - nil, 4 - relay 18=Ignition main relay, 5 - relay 43 = ??, 6 - relay 21 = indicator/hazards

position 7 - nil, 8 - relay 19 = screenwash/intermittent wipe, 9 - nil, 10 - relay 53 = fogs, 11 - relay 53 = horn, 12 - relay 80/67/167 = fuel pump

Edited by seanl82

Thanks sean for the info, fiddled about with the relays and it seems ok at the moment, cant seem to get it to do it, thinking it may be the ignition switch now, funny thing is the passenger side window wont work now! Something to do with me pulling the relays out possibly. Given up now for a bit..