Sign in to follow this  
Welsh g60

DIY charger rebuilds?

My g-ladder hasn't been touched for 150,000 miles so I think the time has come for a rebuild :( . I'm not on great terms with my bank manager at the moment so I've been looking into diy rebuilds. I have found a few sites on the net which claim that a rebuild is childsplay for anyone with engineering experience, a phrase which fits my old man (he's never touched a supercharger but has been a mechanic/engineer for 40 odd years). So what do you people think? Is it a job worth doing yourself or best left to the experts?

If it is worth contemplating as a DIY could anyone give me any info on porting - up to stage 4 if poss, what's involved, can you diy and if so how?

Finally, I've been reading a few things about buying all the rebuild parts direct from bearing manufacturers and such like rather that through VAG and as such saving an absolute fortune - any comments?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Thanks, but to be honest that doesn't mean an awfull lot to me :? , my old man is the mechanic, I have a go at a lot of jobs but often end up phoning him to help me finish them off (I wont touch the charger myself). I have had a quote from you for a rebuild before and whilst it was certainlly the cheapest around (+ I've heard nothing but possitive things about your work) it's just out of my budget right now. Basically I'd like to know the potential problems and pit-falls of a diy rebuild, although I feel it's a bit unfair asking you as you dont want to do yourself out of work and start everyone off trying to do it themselves :D

not at all.. many people rebuild there own chargers... just do reserch as many people have do some good write ups.. if you get stuck give us a call and ill try and sort you out over the phone...

if you get stuck give us a call and ill try and sort you out over the phone...

:D Nice one, top bloke :thumb right:

You can restassured that if diy turns out to be a bad idea the postman will be delivering my charger to you.

For now I'll go and do some more research

there was an article in performance VW, (90% sure it was this magazine) quite a while back, it had a photo step by step guide to refurbishing a supercharger. just had a rummage to try to find the mag but sods law i can't. you could try to get a back copy. i'll try to find it to get the issue number and date

phil

if you get stuck give us a call and ill try and sort you out over the phone...

Even though my current C doesn't have a charger (16v, 'the original and best' :D ), I have to say I'm very impressed with that comment, nice one!

I personally did alot of research into this last year but the cost of the parts may add up to around £250 - £300 if you can get hold of them that is, so just for the piece of mind i got mine done from g-werks and no regrets so far :) .

You have to be careful on what parts you buy from manufactures, make sure you get the right spec parts because the innappropriate ones may damage your charger or will last for a very short period of time. I wouldnt buy these bearings or oil seals from any big suppliers which have no experience with the G60 charger as chances are you will get the wrong parts, the bearings and oil seals used on g-laders are very specific for their purpouse. There are a few places which sell these complete kits such as us G-tuned, Darren.... Sayin that there is different specs that people use some being cheaper and more profitable than others but not necesseraly better.

We can offer now a new spec of high speed bearings, strips and oil seals which are superior the OEM parts,ideal for a high reving small pulley G60 unit. If you have time and knowlege its an efficient way to mantain your charger in good shape by carrying the work yourself but one should be confident on what he does, as many have reccomended there are some sites which cover this section that might help you. Good luck! :thumbleft:

rgds

I've seen afew kits on eBAy.

Bahn Brenner motorsport will sell you a kit.

Jabbasport won't.

Look on google. I did last year when Iwanted to rebuild mine and found a few places in holland and germany. I worked out at around £200 for the seals, bearings, belt etc..

There's nothing to them, just makes ure you have some decent circlip pliers, and be prepared to find out that it's totally shagged inside and you make need a new one.

I've got a box full of bits of you need any shafts or anything like that.

I was actually wondering about how hard it is to diy the charger rebuild...

I'm not exactly a mechanic :p Just did my first oil and coolant change...

Is it really that tough if ya have the tools?

no, just a few bearings and seals to press out and them press new ones in. it's a very simple thing the G-Lader, it only consists of about 10 parts.

I can tell you how to time the belt up too.

Yeah, it´s not that difficult... 8)

Just be very carefull when removing the bearings. :!:

Because if you don´t... You can damage / scratch the scrolls easily! :!:

It is a nice job to do! :)

I am rebuilting my charger too at the moment! :wink:

So if you need some extra help (i say extra because these forum guys are very expert) :D you can email me!

Good Job! :mrgreen:

Bahn Brenner is having a sale on rebuild kits at the moment, just tell them you saw it on the vwvortex forums. IIRC its $350 for everything shipped in to the continental US, that breaks down to about £195 for you plus it will inevitably cost a little bit more because fo the post.

We sell quite a few rebuild kits per year. There are some people who are insistant that they are going to service everything on their car themself, including the charger. Chargers are less complicated inside that most people anticipate them to be. In saying that you have to have a certain degree of mechanical knoledge and common sence to take on such a job. Using the correct components and attention to detail fitting the components is the key. Had a chappie last year who proudly told me that he had got all the seals for his supercharger for 20 quid.. a lot less than we sell them for.. he smugly laughed as he walked off.. and I smugly laughed knowing that 20 miles down the road he would have a cloud of smoke behind his car as the cheap seals he had used had delaminated as they would not take the heat of the engine oil passing though the charger. Never cut coreners when servicing a charger.. the charger will always have the last laugh.. at your expence