bm55

question about tax disc refund

If I handed in my tax disc tomorrow (31.7.12) how much would I get back? Would I get 2 months worth (Tax expires 30.9.12).

6 month rate (currently on car) is worth £121.00

You would need to attach it to a v14

They will pay you out for any complete monthes left

Yeah by the time you send of the form and they process it, you are looking at loosing a month.

A friend of mine returned his and he got less than he thought, so he inquired about it and found out your refund is dependant on when they process it.

Thanks for all the help. I was hoping to get 2 months worth by handing it in today, however that doesn't look likely so there is not so much of a rush now.

I sent mine back about two weeks after my car was written off. (a week after bunging 6 months on!) Ive still not got anything back 6 weeks later! and I sent it express recorded. I sent the v5 off in the same envelope to say it had gone to a trader for dismantling, and received the form back saying Im no longer the keeper last week! They are particularly slow when issuing money back, but are all over you when you tax it on time, throwing fines about like you wouldnt believe!!!

They are particularly slow when issuing money back, but are all over you when you tax it on time, throwing fines about like you wouldnt believe!!!

Isn't that (sadly) true of any company though? :|

As said you'll lose august as it is only full months they give refunds on. Id still try and get it off to them early and obtain some proof of post with a date mark incase they try to wriggle out of anything. Or send it recorded so you at least know when they will have received it and it only costs 95p more to send it that way.