Sign in to follow this  
A20 LEE

Steam!!

Just taken the C for a run and got a scare at 70 mph when the dash vents start blowing steam!! Engine's fine, no blown hoses. Whats Happened?!?!?

Just taken the C for a run and got a scare at 70 mph when the dash vents start blowing steam!! Engine's fine, no blown hoses. Whats Happened?!?!?

heater matrix?????

heater matrix?????

That what i thought, has anyone replaced one if thats the case, how much? Luckily i'm changing my dash anyway so i'll replace it then. So if i leave the knob on cold air and the fan turn off is the car OK to drive?

heater matrix?????

That what i thought, has anyone replaced one if thats the case, how much? Luckily i'm change my dash anyway to i replace it then. So if i leave the knob on cold air and the fan turn off is the car OK to drive?

pretty sure someone has cracked replacing the matrix with the dash in-situ...........cant remember where the info is tho

heater matrix?????

That what i thought, has anyone replaced one if thats the case, how much? Luckily i'm changing my dash anyway so i'll replace it then. So if i leave the knob on cold air and the fan turn off is the car OK to drive?

You'll need to bypass the matrix before driving it as it's in circuit permanently, otherwise you'll end up flooding the interior.

You'll need to bypass the matrix before driving it as it's in circuit permanently, otherwise you'll end up flooding the interior.

How do i do that?

TIA

Have a look at the back of the engine and there is two water pipes going into the bulk-head , disconnect both of these and join them together . This is what it is like on the 16v and should be the same for all corrado's . Hope this helps .

Heater matrix can sometimes be replaced under the VW warranty as quite a few were called back in due to faults or something, i forget but there are some threads on here somewhere stating all the facts.

Not going to well so far with bypassing the matrix. Can't get the hose clips off!!. I guess there a special tool for removing them, any ideas where i get one?

Not going to well so far with bypassing the matrix. Can't get the hose clips off!!. I guess there a special tool for removing them, any ideas where i get one?

Pair of long nosed maul grips (mole grips?) have always done the job for me... they are a little sod though and need plenty of swearing at! ;)

There is a special tool for doing them properly, but the only place I've ever seen it was from Snap-on so it had a price tag to go with it! ;) :|

I wouldn't bother with the special pliers for undoing the sprung clips they are bloody useless in tight spaces as they are quite big ( like water pump plumbing pliers) I found the mole grips as Henny says are just as good for undoing the clips as anything else, and once removedI never put them back on I just replace them with normal jubilee clips as they are soo much easier to take off!

Oh and if you did want to buy the special pliers Draper and Sealey also make them for the cheaper a option than snap-on think mine were about 15 quid when I bought mine