Idlewillkill

VR6 Green Machine.

Hey all. So here we go with my latest toy.

As said in the newbie section. The engine is great, same for the gearbox. Electrics are a touch dodgy but her main issue is bodywork.

A few pics...

Photo0197.jpg

Photo0195.jpg

Scuff on the front bumper, planning on getting the whole bumper painted...

Photo0198.jpg

Rear panel damage/scuff...

Photo0201.jpg

Various vandalism...

Photo0199.jpg

Photo0200.jpg

Aside from that, some serious clear coat peel on both wings. Only rust is again on both wings and currently only surface rust.

Bodywork can wait for a bit, mainly as I'm currently in no rush to get here on the road. Saying that she is taxed till Nov and MOT May 2012.

Will most likely start with the oily bits/general faults which are...

Heater only works on number 4 - Guessing its the resistor?

Drivers electric mirror not working although I think I can hear the motor moving so hopefully a quick fix

The immobiliser sometimes stops the car from cranking, very intermittent problem but a pain.

Wipes constantly blowing the fuse when changing speeds with the stalk.

Passenger door pin sometimes not rising when unlocking car.

And naturally a good service and deep clean. Alt belt is looking somewhat frail too.

Hoping to have a few hours on her tomorrow, will post up any progress

Cheers for looking :cool:

Welcome mate, "I smells a respray in the air"...!

Re your faults I would suggest:

Heater yes prob the resister and an easy fix.

If the mirror motor is whirring then keep at it. Mine sticks but still works fine once I've spent a few moments mashing it this way and that.

Door pins are pushed up via an air pump in the boot, if the others are ok have a look at the door mech to make sure the pipes aren't kinked or twisted.

Not sure on the wipers, maybe new motor or at least a clean of it. Immob I wouldn't have a clue sorry.

Welcome mate, "I smells a respray in the air"...!

Re your faults I would suggest:

Heater yes prob the resister and an easy fix.

If the mirror motor is whirring then keep at it. Mine sticks but still works fine once I've spent a few moments mashing it this way and that.

Door pins are pushed up via an air pump in the boot, if the others are ok have a look at the door mech to make sure the pipes aren't kinked or twisted.

Not sure on the wipers, maybe new motor or at least a clean of it. Immob I wouldn't have a clue sorry.

Cheers man, plan on doing some shopping for parts next month, wiper motor on the list.

---------- Post added at 9:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:26 PM ----------

OK, so funds are a bit stretched this month so I've started the cleaning. Every panel gap, seal and scraper scrubbed to remove 18 years of moss and filth. Looking much better. Unfortunately, my car has the common problem of the rain gutters falling apart? Hear these are no longer available from VW too?

After this, more pointless cleaning. Removed all lights and various trim to clean behind.

Example, before...

Photo0204.jpg

And after cleaning and a quick go with a compound and wax, refitted the light unit...

Photo0208.jpg

This was done across the rear. Again, amazing how much crud was there. All light clusters received a scrub with a brush and a quick polish.

Fitted a new bee sting seal...

Photo0206.jpg

And got my rear badges black. A mod that I love personally as I find the chrome effect a bit cheap looking...

Photo0209.jpg

New number plates to be bought from Edition next month.

And finally started a job I really wish I hadn't...

Photo0207.jpg

Not the most interesting of updates but I do love a good detailing session.

Ta for looking

Well done so far. My passenger wing mirror had a similar problem when I bought my car. It turned out to be the mechanism behind the glass that was broken. There are some plastic brackets which get moved by the motor, and then the glass clips onto them. In my case I was able to superglue the mechanism and it works fine now. It's hard to describe but if you pop the glass off then it should be fairly obvious.

Thank you Mr Portent, will get onto that ASAP. :thumbleft:

OK, so I have been doing stuff, just life has kinda got in the way. Have mainly started on the bodywork. No updates as yet, would rather do an epic, huge, boring all in one post on the subject.

So, spent a good day cleaning out the interior as it was minging. Seriously filled up the vacuum with the amount of crap in there. Also the centre console was all crooked and not fitted properly so took it all out and now looks cracking again, plus the ashtray now opens!

Anyway, some pictures for you. I have a cracked fog light and was kinda put off by the price of decent second hand items so got some cheap tint from eBay...

WP_000028.jpg

Hasn't covered the crack all that well, was hoping for more, but its good quality gear and at least masks the problem somewhat.

Also, had this kicking around for a while so got it fitted...

WP_000027.jpg

Just needs some more leather treatment and will look rather sexy :thumbleft:

---------- Post added at 5:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:52 PM ----------

Other progress, thanks to a cracking guide somebody posted on here, got my headlights off and cleaned up. Totally a job worth doing if you have been thinking about it.

OK, so here is one of the units...

WP_000019.jpg

Note the part number sticker floating around in the bottom :lol:

So with the surround off, here is the grimness...

WP_000020.jpg

WP_000021.jpg

Also did the other one, but it was worse! Like dead creepy crawlies ect, which I doubt you guys would appreciate a picture of :lol:

So also took the glass off, got the various bits of junk that were floating about in the units, put them back together and they look like this now...

WP_000023.jpg

God awful pic, but they do look great.

Finally, got super nerdy and painted various screws, nuts and clips on the slam panel, which is beginning to take shape now and looks like this...

WP_000024.jpg

As I Say, not the most amazing update, but I'm generally quite happy with how its going so far :cool:

All comments welcome.

Good to see you cracking on buddy, will be rewarding when you sort all the little niggles. Took my headlight off the other month and had the same card thing floating about at the bottom :)

I have been doing stuff I promise! :smug:

So, the heater blower now works on all 4 speeds thanks to a second hand resistor.

The wiper fuse now doesn't blow out, thanks to advice on here leading me to buy a replacement arm.

And the drivers mirror now moves freely. Fixed itself. Bonus.

Now, the none starting issue I believe to be a battery drain. I left the face on the stereo and after two days the battery was showing 9 volts. Most odd. Worth noting tho that the battery will creep down to 11/12 volts after a few days and the car wont turn over, even without the stereo face in. Still, a job for another day.

Did some cosmetics to keep myself amused...

Brake calipers before...

WP_000044_zps82b3cd4d.jpg

And after...

WP_000045_zps8afeac0b.jpg

Rears got the same treatment...

WP_000047_zps66a3bc42.jpg

And treated myself...

WP_000049_zpsfb13fb8f.jpg

Also bought wheels, induction kit (I like the noise) and second hand Powerflow exhaust. Tyres to be bought tomorrow.

Aiming to have the car in use for friday. Will hopefully have the Coilovers on tomorrow too.

Thanks.

Well, it's on the road now. Been waiting for a day without snow and bitter wind to give the old girl a decent wash. That happened today, so on with the pics!

temporary_zps0176ed15.jpg

temporary_zps61da4447.jpg

temporary_zps2fdb691d.jpg

temporary_zps4a278b10.jpg

temporary_zpsd80da5be.jpg

temporary_zps2aa3711f.jpg

temporary_zpsa5002760.jpg

temporary_zps254e7c6d.jpg

My fav pic :cool:

temporary_zpsf3fbc9b7.jpg

Love driving it, impressed with the MPG, no where near as harsh as I was expecting and by god does she turn heads!

Bring on show season!

Cheers man.

17 inch wheels

8.5 rears

7.5 fronts

et 52

20mm hubcentric spacers on the front to clear calipers

car looks good from 10 feet currently, needs bodywork but I'm pretty chuffed.

Looks very well! It's come a long way.

Wheel specs are similar to mine. Are they RS's?

Just a quick update on how the engine is looking. Finished polishing the inlet and gave the rocker cover a few coats of paint too. Have bought some wrinkle paint for the plastics so will be getting on that asap.

Also, after a reading a thread elsewhere have bought some draft excluder type stuff to help stop water getting into the bay by lining the wings with it.

A picture...

WP_000088_zpsfdba62d5.jpg

And cleaned up the area around the air box and fitted an induction kit. Great noise!

WP_000089_zpsf90078dd.jpg

Finally painted the radiator cover and added new stickers...

WP_000090_zpsd1f424e6.jpg

Forgot to update this thread.

Things have progressed at a decent pace, including a full silicone hose set with new thermostat, housing and steel crack pipe.

Had a few issues so had to remove the 20 year old alarm and immobiliser due to a starting issue I had, also replaced the ignition switch and starter, as it was beginning to stick on.

Serviced twice a year along with a new battery and flew through her last 2 MOTs.

However the big news is on Sunday I finally dropped the old girl off for her respray. Have been promised plenty of update pictures so will update accordingly.

Excited is not the word. :cheers:

Well, here she is after a quick clean yesterday. I haven't put any product on the paint, but the reflections are awesome...

DSC_0018_zpsc313982b.jpg

DSC_0019_zpscc74e34f.jpg

DSC_0021_zpse703c5d3.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsb6edb4d8.jpg

Really happy with the finished article.

Future plans include new plates, new/better gear knob and the drivers seat is poor. Possibly new wheels too. Plenty of cleaning in the spring too. Itching to get some nice polish and wax on too.