max west-yorks

downpipe to cat flange

hi,

changed my exhaust today managed to

do the catback with no problems but the downpipe to cat flange is just rust as its 18 years old and has never been touched,

what I need to know is if it's simply a loose nut and bolt or if the bolts are seam welded onto the downpipe side of the flange

just so I know whether to grind off the heads and knock them through or if it will need drilling out and reboring for new bolts

thanks,

max

You dont say which model you have. On my 2l 16v 9A engine I have 3 loose bolts attaching cat to downpipe. I had my cat off 2 weeks ago to replace the Lambda sensor so I know this for certain.

Just had a quick look on ETKA and I believe its also the case for other models. The 9A has a metal ring, the others a seal, but all have 3 off M8 bolts/nuts.

Edited by bmwcompact

If you get 2 bolts with an angle grinder, this may allow the cat to be lowered a little giving more room to attack the third bolt. You may be able to saw it or even shear it with 2 ring spanners/sockets. The problem is I only have hands on knowledge of the 9A engine not the V6.

According to ETKA for V6:

Seal is 1HO 253 115C if you need it?

Bolts: 3 off N0102478 M8x35mm, nuts: 3 off N0221464, but they dont need to be VW!

There are lots of V6 owners on the forum-maybe someone else can add something.

yeah they're M8,

the only problem is the final bolt is literally right on the top in the middle as far as I can remember so even then it'd be hard to get a grinder in

would it even be possible to shear off the bolts though? they're literally solid rust, can't even see the bolt thread anymore!

thanks for the reply

max