robo22sri

looking into buying a compressor!

I am looking into buying a compressor for home to use for trying to attack the rust on my mk3!

Was going to buy a 4.5inch 240v grinder and wire wheels etc but a compressor and bits will be easier to work with and i can use it for other stuff :)

I was looking at something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-Air-Sioux-50-Litre-2-5HP-9-5CFM-116PSI-Air-Compressor-13pc-Spray-Kit-/280914461312?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item4167ce8280

Have a look at machine mart, they sell Clarke compressors, they are very good quality. my oldest compressor is a Clarke and its 39 years old and still going strong.

if you are looking to use it with air grinder, look at the air consumption then choose a compressor to cope with otherwise the compressor will be running all the time and may struggle to keep up with the air flow.

That's the sort of thing I want to use small grinders etc instead of a dermal multi and 4.5 inch grinder

Just had a look on their website, there's quite a few under £200, but that wolf looks good, 50 litre is a good size to start, 9.5 cfm is pretty good and will power most tools. I would also change to the PCL type coupling or schrader type.

get the biggest you can, 3hp is about the max you can run on home 240v supply, and a belt drive is much quieter. You may be looking at 500 quid new for this sort of spec but second hand you should be able to pick one up in good condition for under 200, a small cheap one will be a false economy especially if you want to run things like air grinders, polishers, paint guns and so on that use a lot of air.

the other issue i have is the compressor cant be to big as i have to put it in the shed, I dont have a garage :(

Totally agree with David on this, a second hand quality one will always be a better investment.

Ok this is a bit more pricey and is a bit bigger, but they are great compressors. I bought a similar compressor to the one you pictured from Screwfix to sandblast a fireplace, it was constantly running out of puff, so I took it back for a refund!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDROVANE-5-100-LTRS-IN-WHEELS-SINGLE-PHASE-AIR-COMPRESSOR-/150878066991?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item232108992f

How about going halves with a friend? It's the sort of thing you can share easily without too much grief/abuse

As said already second hand compressors would be better investment. The older compressors also have better quality receivers as they are built from thicker gauge plate, which ever compressor you go for, remember to drain the receiver regularly to get rid of the condensate or buy a air dryer.