Jim Bowen

New front wings or repair

Late VR6 car.

My front wings have rust around the lip, i took them to a local place and the chap said one wing would be 4hrs the other 3hrs work, £40 a hour. Thats just to repair/weld the missing parts, not paint.

iirc VW don't sell the wings anymore and i'm not too confident buying 2nd hand ones as mine looked like "minor rust" until you attacked it properly.

What are my options?

Personally i'd try and find a pair of rust free wings, it's always better than rapairing/welding. They come up on here every now and again.

If our press at work was big enough, I would have made a press tool to make them out of ally or even a fixture to make out of GRP or fibreglass.

But it's not, so there's not much point really.

Not really got the time to hang about for some rust free ones, then will have to go look at them etc

@Rob, i'll get some pics of them, sounds good.

I was going to have my mate do it, but i'm not too confident in his welding skills and the wings are pretty important, wouldn't mind if it was my 2nd car, but not risking it on the rado.

IIRC the passenger wing is still available, mega money when I bought one last year !

Drivers has been obsolete for about two years now !

Emu was selling a brand new passengers wing a while back , not sure if it sold !

I did notice emus one on ebay, am thinking repair is probably my cheapest option.

Would be a shame to just bin my wings, the rust isn't all over them, just some edges and a bit of a hole at the bottom

If you have any sort of mechanical or very basic fabrication skills you could easily cut the rust out and make a couple of small patches to fit the holes. If you have them really tight and well fitted the welder would just need to weld them in with a mig. I'd say that about 80% of their time would be fiddling about with trying to get the patch to fit perfectly and very little time for actually welding and grinding it down. You could save yourself a lot of money by doing that bit yourself.

I picked up a wing for £20 a few months go. The body shop I use said it would be much easier and cheaper for me to source a new wing. They do come up every now and then :-) I guess it depends how much money your wanting to spend

Personally i think at £40 an hour hes taking the ****. Find someone living on this planet to do the work of find new wings.