Turbo banana

Optimistic Fuel Guage

So took my mate out for a play in the Raddo last night as he has never driven anything you could call quick before. He runs a mk3 Golf GTi but it hardly sets fire to the road.

Anyway after a long few thrashes we turned back for home, then it developed a misfire and slowly died :scratch:

After quick check for sparks and finding all present and correct, Fuel check showed the needle still above red but after a quick crawl beneath and tap of the tank the echo from within told otherwise :bonk:

Anyone else had this before?

VW fuel gauges of this era are awful. I've run out loads of times in my polo's because the fuel gauge is over the red and yet it runs out. Annoying to say the least.

I must be lucky as my gauge is more pessimistic from the reading. Had the needle sat on the stop before and its kept going. So for it to be still above red and ran out either the gauge is wrong (even more inaccurate than expected) or the sender isnt reading correctly.

Did it drop grandually or suddenly?

I think you can re-calibrate the sender?

My Corrado under-reads, so never had a problem there.

My Golf over-reads. Learnt that the hard way. Having your ex bail you out with a can of fuel is not a good look.