Macdaddy

Etiquette when offering to buy a car?

Been told of a blue Storm thats been sat on someones driveway for some time and hasnt moved, I'm trying to find out how long its been there before i go leaving a note.

I went for a drive past tonight and sure enough it certainly looks not to have moved in a while, tyres almost flat, cobwebbed over, weeds behind it etc.

Is it cheeky to stick a note through the door asking if they want to sell it? If not what would you write?

I've had a few people knock on my door in the past offering to buy mine, now i'm looking to sell it there's no chance it will happen again.

I'd knock their door and ask I wasn't offended in anyway when it happened to me, so it's got to be worth a shout.

Yeah no harm at all asking about it Steve, they can only say no mate, i think as long as you dont go knocking late at night it wouldn't be a problem.

Iy you didn't want to hassle them in person just stick a note through the letter box asking if they are interested to give you a call.

I'd give em a knock, but also you need to have an idea first on what you'd be prepared to pay. [and make sure you have the money quickly available if they will sell]

I find it's best just to play the straight up enthusiast role face to face. There's an E30 325 and an early 70's Merc pillarless coupe near me that I've been eyeballing in a driveway ebay watched items kind of way.

I've got enough on my plate. The Merc does tickle me though.

A knockabout Storm would be fun all the same.

I think politeness is the key, if your pleasant about it then who could take a simple question the wrong way ?

There's a 1995 Audi S2 Avant sitting on someone's driveway near me in similar condition which I've had my eye on for some time. Be interested to hear how you get on as it might just inspire me to go and knock.

I think before I bought the Corrado I own now, I walked up to 3 different Corrado owners asking to buy theirs. 2 were parked at their own house, and 1 was at a petrol station.

The 2 that were parked, I just walked up to the house and asked if they knew who owned the Corrado and took it from there. Be polite, be straightforward, don't play games and be genuine.

One of the conversations I had out of those 3 Corrado owners, lasted over 2 hours :)

He who dares and all that.

i only know one person around here with a blue storm, had a kid not long ago too which tends to end there use (i know) .. can't be that many, coincidence..?

I had two people at the door ask about mine. One was the ParcelForce man who already owned a VR6 van. The other was a farmer from the Borders. His son, a JCB operator was doing work on a big job down the road from us and ogled the car every day when he passed. When the contract was finished, he got his dad to drive here to ask about it. Kids, eh? Anyway, I wasnt selling at the time, but we had a good blether for half an hour.

So, no harm in asking - at least you arent trying to sell them roofseal!

Can I pay monthly with locally sourced bacon?

If it's oak smoked dry cure, sure. I'll accept 40 rashers a month for a 34 years :D