VR-Sixy

A Minor Niggle.......

Following on from my Alternator Belt extravaganza the w/end before last, i've noticed that when the engine has just been started and i go to pull away, the engine fades like it's struggling to get fuel. The revs drop like a lead balloon and it doesn't seem to want to pick up until i take my foot off the accelerator, and then re-apply the throttle. But...... once it's been running for a few minutes, this problem disappears and all is hunky dory again.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I though that maybe i had fried my plugs while nursing the car back home after the belt went, but logic dictates it would be like this all the time if this was the case.

Once again, one is Puzzled of Deepest Middlesex. :scratch:

---------- Post added at 8:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:42 AM ----------

My mate has chipped in on this... suggests it might be the cold start sensor (or whatever it's called) and perhaps a wire has come off when the belt was being fitted. Does this make sense? Ta! :)

Yes it does, but could also be the MAF sensor. It'll take a few minutes before the ECU writes it off and drops back to "failsafe" fuelling map. As always, VAGCOM or equivalent will tell you the answer pretty much straight away.

Yes it does, but could also be the MAF sensor. It'll take a few minutes before the ECU writes it off and drops back to "failsafe" fuelling map. As always, VAGCOM or equivalent will tell you the answer pretty much straight away.
Thanks Dr_Mat. I'll see about getting one or both of these parts replaced. Appreciate your input. Cheers. :)

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:50 AM ----------

Ouch, the MAF sensor looks expensive to replace............ (if it's that...) :(

Sort yourself an ebay special - and note that the later cars with five pin MAF are common with more cars so they're easier to get hold of.

Sort yourself an ebay special - and note that the later cars with five pin MAF are common with more cars so they're easier to get hold of.
Thanks again, but i am afraid i'm a silly Farquhar. I popped the bonnet this evening when i got home from work and lo and behold, the connector to the MAF hadn't been replaced when i put the air box back in after the belt had been fitted. I looked for an embarassed smilie, but there isn't one, so the epic fail will have to suffice!!:epicfail:

Lol, nice one. At least my diagnosis was pretty sharp..! :)
Dontcha just love smart-arses!!?? LOLZ!! Only jesting... you were spot on!! :D :D