tentonhammer

9A Ignition Coil

Just been told by VW that they can no longer supply Ignition Coils for the 9A???! (mines a 92 16V 2.0)

Anyone know where I can find an OE replacement? Not into buying cheaper third party cr*p at all

TBH I am in a hurry so may need to source a cheaper one for now (how long it will last is anybodies guess...). Will def try Bosch dealers first though

Slight problem I noticed - Although listed to fit my car, for some reason all 9A Ignition Coils I am finding at the moment are of the square type Ignition Coil - Mine is the cylindrical type. Checked on VAGCAT and yes Ignition Coil for a 9A 1992 16v 2.0 C should be the cylindrical type NOT the square type. Suppliers are convinced it'll fit but I'm not so sure, will the square type even fit? You've only gotta look at the schematics to realise suppliers are selling the wrong one! I would love to be proved wrong however...

If anyone can point me in the right direction for a good quality ignition coil that would be fab

To confirm I'm after one of these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69271[/ATTACH]

Edited by tentonhammer

They are convinced as their computer says YES. How would you mount it?

I bought one second hand cylindrical one from a member on here and it worked fine. Not sure where you can get a new one from.

ETA: I'll look on mine for a part number for you.

They are convinced as their computer says YES. How would you mount it?

So true - Every supplier I've spoken to is adamant the square type coils are correct even though the schematics clearly show the cylindrical type? If there's one thing I've learned over the years with parts is that, if it looks different to the factory design and doesn't match your vehicles schematics - It probably is different and / or not correct and you should steer clear of it.

Re mounting - Looks like mounting might not be an issue as both mount to framework via 2 x bolts. Whether or not the vertical mounting hole distance for the 2 x bolts is the same on the cylindrical coil and square coil remains a mystery... I guess the only way to find out would be to try one out. Reluctant to do this though as it could be complete waste of time

I suppose you could make a bracket anyway. If mounting isn't an issue, just ensure the technical spec is all the same.

I'd be interested to know, as I've still only got 2xoriginal ones, could probably do with replacing.

Totally.

ETA: I'll look on mine for a part number for you.
Part number should be: 535905115 (cylindrical type) or according to suppliers: XEI73 (square type). Let me know which one you have, I can't see a part number on mine!

I would have thought heaps of Ignition Coils have been replaced by forum members, hopefully someone will be able to add to this

---------- Post added at 1:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Some very good information on here:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?46420-1993-2l-16v-coil-or-coil-pack&p=925378#post925378

Tempted to try ignition coil for the KR engine code which seems to work. Bosch Part Number: 0 221 122 399. These are available from GSF Car Parts for £51.52 all in.

Check the part number against the kr and other engines of around the same era. I know the kr one is exaxtly the same as almost all the mk2 golfs, and is the cylindrical one like yours. Have a look on vw heritage as most of their stuff is genuine and bought up from suppliers near the end of production.