Tempest

Pictures Trip to Corrado/Scirocco Club Dissen meet in Germany

Another trip successfully completed to the continent, a Scirocco/Corrado meet by the Dissen Club in Bad Rothenfelde in Germany.

Met up with my German friends, who'd come over for the Coventry Festival of Motoring, again in Harwich last Thursday for the sailing across to Hoek van Holland, where we despite a 1-hour wait to let the traffic jams clear, we still got stuck in the darn things around Rotterdam.

Fairly unspectacular trip through the rest of the Netherlands, driving thrrough the centre of a heavy thunderstorm, to finally arrive on German Autobahns, dry surface, good weather, open up those 8 pots a little :)

Stayed with our friends Thursday night to then drive on to Bad Rothenfelde on Friday, where we took part in a very nice convoy taking in a hillclimb track (just a public road in Germany with start and finish written on the tarmac) and 2 museums, one of which was the by now traditional (ex-)Karmann car collection, now owned by VW. The Osnabrück site is gearing up for some Porker production. Schwebe, former chief construction engineer at Karmann, was joining us again, as was Breford, Schwebe telling me all sorts of stories about their time at the Porsche test track when he spotted my 928 :)

Lots of drinks that night, Saturday the weather improved enormously, warm and sunny, good friends from Germany attended as day visitors, loads of beautiful cars, good food, a trip or 2 for those interested in what 8 pots feel like when opened up on the Autobahns, and a prize for furthest-travelled rounded off a good day.

Sunday was spent in the village where my parents live, Eiscafe (I do miss those things in Blighty), few drinks and a packing big boxes into the 928 with lots of parts for my Rado and Rocco from Classic Parts and a private seller.

Monday ferry trip back again, Tuesday back on the treadmill.

Average mpg with some spirited driving for the 928 was 21mpg, textbook value, byt lots of fun!

Piccies:

100_1159.jpg

100_1160.jpg

100_1161.jpg

100_1162.jpg

100_1163.jpg

100_1164.jpg

100_1165.jpg

100_1166.jpg

100_1167.jpg

100_1168.jpg

100_1169.jpg

100_1170.jpg

100_1171.jpg

100_1172.jpg

100_1173.jpg

100_1174.jpg

100_1175.jpg

100_1176.jpg

Tempest

Is that "Classic Parts" Corrado the one out of the Karmann basement then Eric? I can't help but notice it has a genuine VW Motorsport 16vG60 engine fitted, and there aint many of those around in Corrado's! And it looks to be the same colour..

Yes, that was indeed Thieme's (former Karmann boss) 16V-G60 Rado, that we've seen twice or so in the basement of the Karmann car collection. Good to see that it's now being used. The chap that drove it said it was a wee bit scary, because it just has so much power, ideal for some Autobahn fun. Given they came all the way from Wolfsburg, they certainly had some of that fun.

Tempest

Yes, that was indeed Thieme's (former Karmann boss) 16V-G60 Rado, that we've seen twice or so in the basement of the Karmann car collection. Good to see that it's now being used. The chap that drove it said it was a wee bit scary, because it just has so much power, ideal for some Autobahn fun. Given they came all the way from Wolfsburg, they certainly had some of that fun.

Tempest

Good to see it getting used! I hope it gets looked after too... fricking rare motor! :)

I´m sure it will. You´ll recall the workshop next to the Classic Parts shop in Wolfsburg, where the enthusiasts care for their fleet.

Tempest

Cheeky VSR on the Reiger Corrado..

Love the idea of a 16v G60, I've no idea why as I've only been behind the wheel of a G60 once, i think its the rarity factor...

Indeed. VW Motorsport only made, I believe, 70 of those engines! :|