guildmage

what could have caused this?

Saw this few minutes ago, it's a front passenger side... :scratch:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69327[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69328[/ATTACH]

Can't take a wheel off and check properly as I need drive soon. Is it safe to drive?

I recently fitted new tyres + tracking done, could swear it wasn't like that before. Car seems to drive fine. Bit puzzled... so far a bad month for my car.

Give the cv boot a good feel all round, looks like it could have split and thrown its h/v grease about the place esp as its just over and around it. Usually get a splattering on the inside of your wheel too.

Depending on how bad or dry its got, should be ok to drive just not a great distance if its all escaped or it heats up and vibrates without its lube etc.

Definitely wouldn't drive it; grease could get onto the brake disc and then you could be in big trouble.

This could be caused by an antiroll bar drop link touching the cv boot, or just long tem rubber degradation.

Best wishes

RB

Definitely wouldn't drive it; grease could get onto the brake disc and then you could be in big trouble.

THIS ^

I've put 1000's of miles on a dried up clicking CV with no issues...but I would recommend against that. I ended up with catastrophic failure on the highway, it could have ended badly.

Right now it appears a quick and simple repair, you are doing the right thing by making it a priority before to many miles.

New CV boot, one seized bolt and £90 less in the pocket and it's fixed now :) Thanks for advice people.

£90!!! did a garage do the work mate?:eek:

Yes, it's a shame to admit but yes.

I'm a computer geek you see. I can fix servers, build websites, damn I can recompile linux kernels without a problem. However, mechanically I am total newb, lack of skills, knowledge and tools. Everyone did tell me going Corrado is a bad idea... but hey, ho I thought, why not! Now, however I'm having some second thoughts to be honest...

hey,nowt wrong with that at all.

i'm pretty much the other way round ,good(ish) with cars

but that stuff you do is all gobbledygook to me if i'm

honest,lol.

corrado's and old cars in general are a pain,but having said that

so are most stunningly fit women,but we'd all still have one!!!!

so keep calm and corrado on......

I need move to wherever you guys live.... lol. £90 is not far off an hours labour inc vat around here. Deduct the price of parts, and time to remove seized bolt, that is not a bad price at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need move to wherever you guys live.... lol. £90 is not far off an hours labour inc vat around here. Deduct the price of parts, and time to remove seized bolt, that is not a bad price at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, that isn't bad for what is essentially a pretty crap job, removing the shaft from the hub is a nightmare in itself sometimes.

Not bad value if you ask me.

£90 seems fair to me! It's not exactly a quick job especially if there are seized bolts.