Benjevw

Water level light keeps coming on!

So every couple of days this keeps happening! I've had a look and doesn't seem to be leaking from anywhere.

When I undo the header tank cap after being sat for 12+ hours there's still pressure in the system? Is this normal? I left it for the whole weekend (Friday afternoon -Sunday afternoon) and still held most of its pressure!

Im sure this isn't meant to happen? Could be wrong tho!

Also when the cars hot it sometimes makes a weird noise like a kettle/goose :/ lol

Any helps appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Change out your expansion tank cap. The old black caps are notorious and common for not venting pressure, a new blue one should solve your problems. Worth cleaning the contacts on the expansion tank where the plug is too, as it also gets a bit cruddy and causes the warning light to illuminate for no reason.

Cheers Sean

Should've mentioned its got a mk4 golf header tank on it with the blue cap!

When the light comes on I usually leave it till its cold and then check it. if it's on the minimum mark, I undo the cap and let the pressure out and it rises to half way between full and min!

Cheers

Cheers Sean

Should've mentioned its got a mk4 golf header tank on it with the blue cap!

When the light comes on I usually leave it till its cold and then check it. if it's on the minimum mark, I undo the cap and let the pressure out and it rises to half way between full and min!

Cheers

That's where the level should be when cold - if it's below that then the light will come on...

That's where the level should be when cold - if it's below that then the light will come on...

When i let it cool down after the light being on, the level is just under the minimum.

Where's the water going tho?

Usually very slight leaks are the heater matrix if you can't see anything obvious (white marks) under the bonnet...

Try letting the car warm up fully then turn the heater from cold to hot with the fan on 2 - if you get a slight whiff of G12 then that's it...

Hey Ben. This used to happen to me but only after I had swapped out for the Mk4 header tank. I think the electrodes are shorter so the water level only has to get close, and it sets the warning off.

Also, during enthusiastic driving, it sloshes about and sets the warning off too.

Hey Ben. This used to happen to me but only after I had swapped out for the Mk4 header tank. I think the electrodes are shorter so the water level only has to get close, and it sets the warning off.

Also, during enthusiastic driving, it sloshes about and sets the warning off too.

Cheers buddy i was goin to swap it back to the original 1 soon anyway.

Yea hopefully it cures it, does it every couple days!