Pete

Garage lighting help

Hi folks, I'm looking to improve the lighting in my garage which currently consists of one very old batten strip light which is very yellow looking and only covers about 20% of the garage in usable light.

I really want a few spaced out so I can polish the car inside etc but I know nothing about which lights to get.

A mate of mine is happy to do the wiring so I'm ok with that, but does anyone have a suggestion of what lights to actually get???

The garage is dry but not heated so again not sure what to get in terms of health and safety...

Web links would be ideal, I want something that will give a "white" light if that makes sense, and I'm not bothered what they look like.

Thanks all.

yo, just go to b&q and get some strip lights that you like , something like the 6ft long ones, get an old extention lead or some cable thats of simialr size and a plug, then link the strip lights together , earth , neutral and live and then put a plug on the end and plug it into a socket , thats the easiest way to do it,

I replaced two dangling 60w bulbs with two 5ft twin tube fluorescents from wickes, great price and so much more light, you can never over-do it with lighting so over-spec, you can always turn one or more off :)

The eBay ones don't have bulbs in em.

The garage is about 14 x 22ft.

Here are some pics to held show what I mean... (ps spot some recaro action in pic 1 ;) )

IMAGE00006.gif

IMAGE00011.gif

IMAGE00008.gif

IMAGE00010-1.gif

Anyone able to point me at the right tubes to buy which will give a white light? Would you say 1 each side or 4 in total on the roof beams vs on the walls?????

Edited by Pete

I would have one at each end, quite far towards the ends so that wether you be front in or backed in, you get light under the bonnet when it is up without being in shadow from the bonnet, and one in the middle somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The standard tubes in my wickes lights are pretty white, flourescents do 'go off' though, you can get daylight tubes, used for aquaria etc, but they tend to be double the price

I have energy saving bulbs in the garage, and a florescent above my workbench, loads of energy savers and your still burning less power than the tubes. If you really need White light, have a search for daylight florescent bulbs 8)

---------- Post added at 3:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:01 PM ----------

Ah, beaten to it :lol: