timmaaah

Very loud, high pitched buzz/whine from fuel tank...fuel pump?

My 94 vr has developed a really loud squeal/high pitched buzz from what appears to be the fuel tank. It only makes the noise when the engine is running not just when the ignition is on. It stops when the engine stops too. The pitch doesn't vary much, it just goes a little lower pitched when the engine is under load.

Is my fuel pump on the way out? Is it an easy replacement? I managed to get the top of the fuel tank off last night, and could see some plastic bits in all the petrol!! Should I drain/use up the fuel before trying to change it. Is there a 'how to' guide? After doing a search I see reference to 2 pumps? The main one and an uplift one? Or do they come as one unit? Any pointers gratefully received.

I changed my fuel filter the other day (and that's made a noticeable difference to the response of the engine) - the old one weighed about 1kg - the new one about 100 grammes :D

i'd check if any of the fuel lines are kinked or blocked,was it happening before

you changed the filter?

just has an in-tank pump, reach in, twist and remove, pretty easy.

from your description of the sound I'd say it's pretty poorly, they will get worse as the fuel level drops too.

New pump time definitely. The bits of swarf in the tank should be blocked by the filter so probably best to change both

i'd check if any of the fuel lines are kinked or blocked,was it happening before

you changed the filter?

Yes - it was doing it before I changed the filter - there doesn't appear to be any kinks in the fuel line - they were replaced back in 2007 and the car hasn't done huge mileage since.

It's just the one piece assembly then? And horrifically expensive? :( Oh well :)

If it's the one piece pump/level sensor type then a mk3 golf one is the same pump, only difference is the level sensor float arm which can be bent to the right level.

I have a second hand golf VR one in my 8v Corrado (which uses the same pump as the VR6 Corrado)

Except that some MK3 Golf ones are 3 bar. Corrado needs 4 bar. VW have recently changed the pump to a VDO one I believe. Used to be bosch. I enquired about 6 months ago and it was around £200!

Yeah, all mk3 gti/16v/vr pumps is what I meant, 2l 8v engines use the 4 bar which surprised me, main thing is it broadens the parts available a bit as the corrado pump with it's sender incorporated is model specific otherwise

Well the list price from VW is £220.18 inc vat but I did get a decent discount (half price ;)). It's a fairly straightforward swap - lift up the carpet - undo the access panel - remove the multi pin plug and the send and return fuel lines - unscrew the big collar - lift off the top plate - twist the pump assembly 20 degrees anti clock wise and then lift the whole lot out. Remove the send and return fuel lines from the old pump. You have to unclip the sender unit/float from the old pump and clip it into the new pump. Refitting is a reversal of removal.

It's 100% cleared the problem - no whiny noise any more :)

Thanks for the replies :)