tentonhammer

Ignition Module Needed 9A

Anyone have one of these for sale (see pics below) or know what the part number is for a C 92 16V 2.0 (9A)? Looks like the ignition module to me but is fixed to a bracket that mounts the coil and module to framework.

Checked on VAGCAT and I can't find the module (or bracket) anywhere. Seen plenty of 3 pin modules available but they don't come pre-fixed to the correct bracket and bolt on completely differently to the car. Beggining to scratch my head a little with this one!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69500[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69501[/ATTACH]

Any help would be wicked.

Cheers,

Ten Ton

Edited by tentonhammer

I'm not 100%, but that looks a bit of a diy job to me. The coils usually self contained, so all connections/wiring is at the rear of the coil itself. It then bolts to the bulkhead by the clamp that goes around it. That bracket looks to have been bodged to take the wiring/connector, or its a coil off a different car? Like I said, I'm not 100% certain, but from the small amount of 9As I've seen, I've never noticed it any different. :D

Thanks Sean,

It looks a little suspect doesn't it?? It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't meant to be on my 9A - I'm pretty much rebuilding the whole engine bay to rectify previous owners mistakes! If you reckon the bracket pictured with module attached is the wrong one any idea which is the right one?

Found this as a guide: http://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/PartDetails.aspx?s_pc=PM00700&s_vid=1754

How do these fix to the car without the use of a bracket? I presume it piggy backs on top of the coil and the two side mounting bolt holes on the module mate with the two bolt holes on the coil bracket

Very little info on VAGCAT - no schematics at all for this so annoying

---------- Post added at 8:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:34 AM ----------

Anyone got any pics of ignition coil mounted to module and car etc?

Cheers

Edited by tentonhammer

Thanks for the pic appreciate it

Was this off a 9A and does this have the ignition module attached? Pretty sure coil packs for the 9A are cylindrical that's all, or according to 9A schematics they are! Either way I see what you're saying about it bolting directly into the bulkhead

Any pics of the cylindrical pack + module mounted to it?

Edited by tentonhammer

Hi there,

Looking at your pictures, it has the module attached to a home made bracket. With the coilpack, this is built in and has the 3 pin connector attached to the coil pack (you can just see the top of it in the picture)

I must admit, I have seen the square type coils before that suppliers SAY will fit a 9A but everyone I've spoken to who has tried them have all said they don't work or rather you can't turn the engine over after install! All have reverted back to the cylindrical type which work fine. Problem is - VW no longer stock coil packs for the 9A so I'm pretty much b*ggered at the moment.

Recently tried fitting a KR coil (cylindrical same year etc) to see whether this works but after 15 miles the engine died on me. I suspect it was down to the new KR coil (cylindrical type) because the old coil (cylindrical type) that was on the car originally, albeit old and misfired from time to time, actually worked. I've never had the car die on me like that.

Popped into VW yesterday and they were convinced the 9A ignition module mounts on the ECU NOT the coil (cyclindrical type) - :scratch:

I badly need somebody to confirm what type of coil and arrangement you are running on your stock 9A for me to use as a reference base, I don't want to waste any more cash buying the wrong OEM coils and modules. At the moment I'm stuck

Appreciate your help guys,

Edited by tentonhammer

According to the VAGCAT Parts Catalogue part number for a 9A Coil is 535905115. See circled below for schematic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69542[/ATTACH]

I crossed referenced this against a parts database and found this. See link below:

http://www.partsbase.net/part/vw-535905115

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69543[/ATTACH]

This is very similar to mine.

I have a pretty serious problem though - VW don't stock these anymore and I still can't find an OE Ignition Coil replacement for a C 92 16V 2L (9A) anywhere! These have to exist surely??

Failing that what is everybody else running? (9A owners please)

Cheers,

Edited by tentonhammer

I'm sure I have a 9A coil at home, definitely has the module on the side and came off a late 16v, I bought it as a spare for my KR but haven't needed it so far and I'm not 100% sure that the actual coil is suitable for the KR anyway. Either way, I'd sell on the module as it's no use to me, just haven't got round to putting it on the forum or ebay.

I'll take some pics tonight for you.

Good man!

Either way, I'd sell on the module as it's no use to me

Would this have the coil attached to it too or is it just bracket and module only?

Cheers David

I have the whole thing, coil, with bracket and module on it, but I was under the impression you wanted just the module?

If the coil is definitely of no use on my KR system (which doesn't have the module) then there's no point in me hanging on to it, but I've never actually checked it against the basic KR coil on the car.

Probably best to try the coil as well I think if it is in fact off a 9A - module and coil if that's cool with you please mate?

I didn't actually need the coil at first as I bought a BOSCH KR alternative from GSF recommended by GSF. This worked for 15 miles before my engine cr*pped out on me (hall sender failure, brand new distributor now fitted). However, tried to turn ignition over after the new distributor was fitted and the car now won't start. Seemed logical to remove the new coil that was recently fitted so that I could fit the old coil back on (old coil worked just misfired from time to time) to rule out the new coil. Turns out the new coil is in fact faulty which could have been something to do with my engine suddenly dying on me last week as well so I now need a new coil as well...

Bit of a ball ache this one, appreciate your help!

Edited by tentonhammer

hi again, here's some pics of the 9A coil I have

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69553[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69555[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69556[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69557[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69558[/ATTACH]

I quickly looked on my KR this morning, coil itself appears the same although the part number on the end is specific, which I'm guessing is because the VW part number includes the side module as one item.

But like I said, I'm loathed to get rid of the coil itself as it's my 'spare' and I know they're not cheap, even pattern ones, but the side module is of no use to me and would be a lot lighter to post!

I have a 9a and the bracket and module is definately a factory item as I have exactly thee same item in mine. I have had issues with it before and also found out that VW don't do them anymore so have always bought up 2nd hand ones when I see them come up. Without this module the car runs like a bag of spanners so it is a vital part. If I was you I would get the one off davidwort before I do. ;)

Great pics David ;) 3 pin connector as well same as mine, bracket is very similar indeed

Either way my ignition module looks shot to hell so I will def take this off your hands even if it is just for testing purposes for the moment (presuming of course your module works!). At the very least I'll be able to fit my old coil back on which I know was working albeit intermittently. No worries about you keeping the coil mate.

How much do you want for it?

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

I have a 9a and the bracket and module is definately a factory item as I have exactly thee same item in mine. I have had issues with it before and also found out that VW don't do them anymore so have always bought up 2nd hand ones when I see them come up. Without this module the car runs like a bag of spanners so it is a vital part. If I was you I would get the one off davidwort before I do. ;)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Probably a good idea to snap them up if you can find em in that case. Cheers bud will def be grabbing the module of off David

BTW - Good luck selling your IMAGE wheels fella, they're lovely! Been looking at some Image 3 Piece Billet 4's for a while now myself... ;)

Edited by tentonhammer

I've been through this in the past. If you're not sorted give me a shout as I'm doing a 20vt swap so don't need the part that you're after anymore and could stick it in the post

Oli